Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/26/14 08:13 PM
Hope this never happens to my pond....

Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/26/14 08:29 PM
Wow that is some power. Hope a round bail don't come floating down there. Seen them plug up road drains.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/26/14 10:31 PM
I've had a similar (but MUCH smaller) vortex on my big pond. Last spring we had 100 year rains, and my 18" culvert was completely covered, plus around maybe 10" over the top. It drew one heck of a vortex for probably a day or so. I did not feel comfortable until after the water was back below the top of the culvert and it was draining normally.
Didn't someone post a video of one down south somewhere where trees were actually getting sucked into it? I believe Eric might have posted it and it was due to a sink hole?
Posted By: esshup Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/27/14 01:31 AM
That's what happens when you're using one of the super braids on your rod and you get hung up on the bottom. Instead of breaking the line, you pull the plug out of the pond. grin
WOW!!! I need an overflow like that. Seriously, that thing looks extremely dangerous.
Posted By: Zep Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/27/14 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: hang_loose
WOW!!! I need an overflow like that. Seriously, that thing looks extremely dangerous.

hang_loose I'm not sure I would even want to be standing where the guy with the camera was.

who knows if that thing could suddenly expand?
Posted By: Grundulis Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/27/14 01:20 PM
You don't have to worry about that. I have to. Seriously smile
This (yes, THIS ONE) event happened like ~ 50 km from my pond last spring (this video was quite famous in my country last year). We had great flood and different things happened wink
What is really happening there? Is it going into a drain under the water, or is it a sinkhole that formed? Wish they showed the outlet, if it was a pipe. Awful big chunks disappearing. Seems as if it was a pipe, those chunks would eventually plug it.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/27/14 06:30 PM
Cecil I think you are talking about "lake peigneur sinkhole disaster" if you have never seen the video you must. http://youtu.be/ddlrGkeOzsI
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/27/14 06:51 PM
Talk about a big Whoops! That would have been something to experience. I am amazed no one died.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/27/14 07:20 PM
Somewhere someone that used to work for Texaco knows the value of checking your work when doing a math problem.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/28/14 02:11 PM
Jodi and I visited that area in January. Interesting fact is that that lake was freshwater before it drained and now is saltwater because it drew water from Lake Vermilion/GOM to refill.
Posted By: ewest Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/28/14 03:33 PM
ouch ! I have a pic of a Jon boat that was sucked through an overflow pipe. Looks like a stepped on beer can .

Posted By: drumz2129 Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 02/28/14 04:05 PM
You are probably thinking of the Bayou Corne sink hole that is still going. It was caused by a failed salt cavern.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/aug/23/louisiana-sinkhole-swallows-trees-video
Posted By: JKB Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 03/01/14 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
ouch ! I have a pic of a Jon boat that was sucked through an overflow pipe. Looks like a stepped on beer can .

eek

You can't return crushed beer cans here and get your 10 cent deposit back wink
Posted By: MSC Re: Hope this never happens to my pond.... - 03/01/14 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: blair5002
Cecil I think you are talking about "lake peigneur sinkhole disaster" if you have never seen the video you must. http://youtu.be/ddlrGkeOzsI

We had to watch that video at work years ago as part of a class. It is amazing.
© Pond Boss Forum