Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 03:19 AM

whistle
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 03:22 AM
Fingers and hand size. It is a cheap imitation of the Condello technique.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 03:23 AM
It wasn't taken by Condello.

The fingers are all wrong.
Posted By: esshup Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 06:51 AM
He didn't listen to Bruce very well! You gotta keep the fingers out of the picture and never post a picture of the fish next to a ruler or on a scale. Sorry Bruce, I realize you take pictures like that to show off the fish, but the engineer in my wants verified details.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 11:33 AM
The guy said the fish was 37 lbs. Me thinks he's fibbing don't you?
Posted By: ewest Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 11:49 AM
Can you say Photoshop ?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
You gotta keep the fingers out of the picture and never post a picture of the fish next to a ruler or on a scale....

Sorry, Scott, but this couldn't be any more incorrect. I always take pictures of my best fish on a flat ruler.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 04:12 PM
..You gotta keep the fingers out of the picture and never post a picture of the fish next to a ruler or on a scale. Sorry Bruce, I realize you take pictures like that to show off the fish, but the engineer in my wants verified details.

I quit posting pictures on this forum because I was tired of people implying that I was lying about my fish. Now I can get slammed even when it's a picture of somebody else.

Posted By: esshup Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 04:28 PM
Bruce, that's the first time that I've seen any pictures of your fish on a scale or with a ruler other than the glamor shots. I don't frequent BBG, so forgive me if they are posted there.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 04:34 PM
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 04:39 PM
Three pound Richmond Mill bluegill on boga grip. Higher definition photo available upon request.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 04:50 PM
That 3.1 fish always makes me giggle....What a beast!!!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 04:53 PM
....AND of course, it never hurts to have high def GoPro video. laugh

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

whistle

I guess I'm now compelled to weigh in on this photo.

I'd like to make a few observations.

Yes, the guy's hand is proportionately big, but anybody who knows a poop about photoshop knows that a skilled photoshop artist would, in fact, do the exact opposite. If you wanted to deceive people as to the size of your fish, you'd photoshop a smaller hand onto the photo.

I'm not skilled enough to tell if there's any pixelation around the periphery of this fish, but the shadows seem consistent with a legitimate photo. Why somebody would take the time to photoshop a dead, frozen pike into a photo, I'd never know. But my first inclination is that this photo isn't altered. It's likely a wide (at least wider than standard) lens, with the photographer using forced perspective to increase the fish to angler size ratio.

OK, now the elephant in the room is the size of the angler's right hand. Yes, it's big, but he is wearing an ice glove. I have three pair and they are all absolutely huge on me. I think this needs to be accounted for in one's assessment of this image.

So 37 pounds is the stated weight? I'm no pike expert, but I do know that's a massive size. Do we know that the angler actually said that this fish is 37 pounds? If not, my suggestion would be to appreciate that it's a pretty good fish, and enjoy it for what it's worth. If the angler has been on record saying it's 37 pounds, and you don't believe it, then fine. But what is our compulsion as a society to call people liars on the internet when we know nothing of this gentleman and his own personal integrity? Sometimes people who possess class and grace refrain from calling people liars on the internet, when in fact they would never do it to his face.
Posted By: esshup Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 05:30 PM
Bruce, I never EVER doubted that your fish weren't huge, it's just that I had never seen many references where length/weight was attributed to them, other than knowing that you caught one over 3# at RM. Seeing that 3.1# BG on a ruler makes it look even bigger (at least to me) than seeing it in a picture without anything to scale it to. I've never seen a BG larger than 11" much less one that is 14" long!!!

What was the RW on that 17" LMB?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 05:57 PM
Bruce,

Yes the guy in the photo said it was 37 pounds. Granted the ice gloves can be huge but I think it's obvious the man has pushed the pike closer to the photo to make it look bigger. I don't think photoshop was used and didn't imply that.

Scott et al you guys really stepped in it and I'm not taking any responsibility as I never mentioned Bruce. grin

How about we move on to politics or religion? whistle
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 06:16 PM
Point taken, Cecil. laugh
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 06:18 PM

I guess I'm confused. Which 17 inch largemouth bass is that?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 07:21 PM
This " discussion " is almost as good and the 'ring fights' that Cecil and I have. I might as well get back in this foray.
'Standard' or average length of a 37 lb northern pike is 52" long.

I think the 17 inch largemouth bass esshup was referring to is the bass in the picture above, which if one does not look closely, the bass length could be seen as 17" long, but is in fact 27 inches long!. Esshup - look again and closely at that ruler marking. I had to darken the photo to get a good view of and verify the 27 inch marking. By the way that is a real big largemouth but more importantly an unbelievably trophy sized bass coming from the great state of Nebraska which is in plant hardiness map or climate zone of 5 and not from a warm long growing season of Florida or southern California. To grow a bass this big in plant hardiness zone 5, one has to be doing many things very well. Condello is not only good at producing great angler fish photos but also growing trophy sized bass.

To see the plant hardiness zone where you live click on the link below. If on the map you click on your state it will give you a detailed map of your state showing low average winter temperatures.
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#

The lower your average winter temperatures means that area has a shorter growing season and it is less likely you will be able to grow fish as big as someone else in more southern plant hardiness zones. It makes that 27" bass a truly remarkable fish for Nebraska waters. FYI - the standard weight for a 27" LMB is 11.95 lbs. IMO the Bruce bass is a pound or three larger than 11.95 lbs.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 07:36 PM
Bruce baby it's lonely at the top eh? LOL Not picking sides, I just wish to share a learning experience for myself. until joining PB, I had never been personally included with big fish, and the photos associated with them. I was at Bruce's last fall, for the PB gathering. Some large bass were caught there, and accompanying photos were taken. One photo, particularly the one with Sue Cruz, was shared on another website. I eventually caught wind of the controversy surrounding this fish. It educated me personally. Fantastic fish, beautiful woman, and outstanding photo. Many were claiming the photo was altered, and that it was even a mounted fish. I was there, saw the fish that were being caught, and the photos and techniques being used.

Some may call different photo techniques "trick photography", or sometimes when the photo actually turns out good, it is labeled as photo-shopped. Personally I can never get the real true feel for the fish unless I'm actually there.

There's a gal I went to school with. Her husband runs a muskie/pike guide service in Wisconsin. I have seen many of their photo's. But since I have never caught or weighed anything like this, I will have to go with them until I find out for myself.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 07:59 PM
I wonder if 37 lbs. was a snafu verses 37 inches?

The first photo is claimed to be a 42", and the second a 41" if I got the info correctly.

Attached picture rhonda's fish.jpg
Attached picture 41 musky.jpg
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
This " discussion " is almost as good and the 'ring fights' that Cecil and I have. I might as well get back in this foray.
'Standard' or average length of a 37 lb northern pike is 52" long.

I think the 17 inch largemouth bass esshup was referring to is the bass in the picture above, which if one does not look closely, the bass length could be seen as 17" long, but is in fact 27 inches long!. Esshup - look again and closely at that ruler marking. I had to darken the photo to get a good view of and verify the 27 inch marking. By the way that is a real big largemouth but more importantly an unbelievably trophy sized bass coming from the great state of Nebraska which is in plant hardiness map or climate zone of 5 and not from a warm long growing season of Florida or southern California. To grow a bass this big in plant hardiness zone 5, one has to be doing many things very well. Condello is not only good at producing great angler fish photos but also growing trophy sized bass.

To see the plant hardiness zone where you live click on the link below. If on the map you click on your state it will give you a detailed map of your state showing low average winter temperatures.
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#

The lower your average winter temperatures means that area has a shorter growing season and it is less likely you will be able to grow fish as big as someone else in more southern plant hardiness zones. It makes that 27" bass a truly remarkable fish for Nebraska waters. FYI - the standard weight for a 27" LMB is 11.95 lbs. IMO the Bruce bass is a pound or three larger than 11.95 lbs.

Great post Bill! LOL! Do you really think Scott thought that fish was 17 inches? Must've been a typo on his part. laugh

In reality that fish was closer to 25". I'm holding the tail away from the board just a touch. The unintended consequence was that it added a little length. I have about five other photos that show the tail lying truly flat at 25". The reason I like this photo so much is that my hand gives a little additional true perspective.
Posted By: esshup Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

I guess I'm confused. Which 17 inch largemouth bass is that?

Bruce, sorry, Bill is correct, that's the 27" LMB, NOT 17". I saw the 26" and mistook it for 16". That's a TOAD! I had to enlarge the pic and adjust contrast to read the ruler. Yes, I really thought it was 17", no typo.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 08:47 PM
My apologies for starting this thread. I should have known better. blush
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/21/13 10:38 PM
...It's likely a wide (at least wider than standard) lens, with the photographer using forced perspective to increase the fish to angler size ratio.

I think that's the correct call. His elbows are obviously pointed towards his hips, but if you measure the length of his elbows to his finger tips, that would mean his hands hang around his knees while standing straight up.

He'd be a point guard in the NBA with arms like that.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 12:04 AM
All excellent points.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 12:49 AM
Ding, Ding, Ding. Round ? Darn - I've forgotten which Round it is. Where is Bob-O to keep the things like this agitated? Cecil - "My apologies for starting this thread. I should have known better." Okay Cecil. show us your ashamed look. You are usually good at "stirring the stink". LOL
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 01:19 AM
I make a living out of calling people liars to their faces. A lot of times they fight me, they all go to jail.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 01:39 AM
Ding, Ding, Ding. Round ? Darn - I've forgotten which Round it is. Where is Bob-O to keep the things like this agitated? Cecil - "My apologies for starting this thread. I should have known better." Okay Cecil. show us your ashamed look. You are usually good at "stirring the stink". LOL

Hey speak for yourself. You and Scott were the ones that brought Bruce into this wink
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 01:41 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I make a living out of calling people liars to their faces. A lot of times they fight me, they all go to jail.

If I came in contact with the people you probably see on a daily basis I'd probably become sour on the human race.
Posted By: JKB Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 03:00 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

I think the Judge and Jury make the final call on who is a liar. You just round 'em up for processing.

Once arrested, that's when the process starts, so everyone goes to jail. You can not un-arrest someone, and the system has to make money wink

Don't know about your neck of the woods, but there are plenty of "Peace Officers" that know the exact dimensions of a cement block (at least the face they can see), and I also suspect that their counting skills have improved as well.

All just people interacting in a system of Chaos.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 03:08 AM
A standard, full 8" concrete block measures 15 5/8" x 7 5/8" when viewed from the face. They allow for a 3/8" mortar joint. And I'm not a peace officer.....

Sorry...couldn't resist! grin
Posted By: rmedgar Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 03:37 AM
Bruce, great looking 3.1 BG. Did you catch many over 2#s?
What bait did you use? Keep up the good work...
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 04:18 AM
I may have to go back to be exactly accurate on my stats, but I've fished Richmond Mill approximately 175 hours over 20 days and 6 trips.

Over that period, I've caught dozens of two pounders, and three 3-pounders. The lures were 1/32 ounce jig, tipped with crawler, and two fish that were caught on crankbaits. One of the crankbaits was rather large.

I can say without a doubt that Richmond Mill is the most outstanding fishery I've ever seen. Bob Lusk and Dr. Jim Morgan have created something amazing.
Posted By: John Wann Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 10:04 AM
..You gotta keep the fingers out of the picture and never post a picture of the fish next to a ruler or on a scale. Sorry Bruce, I realize you take pictures like that to show off the fish, but the engineer in my wants verified details.

I quit posting pictures on this forum because I was tired of people implying that I was lying about my fish. Now I can get slammed even when it's a picture of somebody else.

I can confirm people freaking out on Bruce. People freaked out on a picture I believe Bruce took and posted on a largemouth bass page on Facebook. Sue was holding the fish. 3/4 of comments were "photoshopped!" Having witnessed Bruce taking a pic first hand at the last Pond Boss Connect get together I know it's just a camera and him taking a picture. It amazed me at what people said. Crazy!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 01:19 PM
Thanks, John. Rule #1 of making a fish look big in a picture will always be, "Catch a big fish".
Posted By: deadwood Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 03:21 PM
Bruce, that bass is awesome! Did you weigh that fish? Where was it caught?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 05:52 PM
I weighed that fish on a cheap-o digital scale at about 9.25 pounds I think. I caught it at Stagecoach Lake in SE Nebraska. This fish is part of a low population of predators and very high gizzard shad density.
Posted By: deadwood Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 06:19 PM
That is a potentially good set up for a trophy hunter, but not very helpful from a pond management standpoint since the gizzard shad are generally considered too risky.

Awesome fish though. Congratulations.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/22/13 11:19 PM
Thanks, John. Rule #1 of making a fish look big in a picture will always be, "Catch a big fish".

Bruce, it's real simple. Crap on the naysayers. You are exactly right - your technique simply puts a great fish front and center and allows it to be fully appreciated. For those who don't lime the technique, they are to set their fish on the ground and take a pic from 20the feet away. Some people just don't have enough of their own stuff to complain about!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/23/13 05:36 AM

Hall of Fame

My apologies for starting this thread. I should have known better. blush

Cecil, DO NOT apologize for starting any thread that gets Bruce picked on and agitated. He's been agitating me for yrs and I believe very much enjoys it. Since I'm not near as thin skinned as he and can take it, I say to you Bruce...Suck it up man!! Also while I will not be one to insinuate that all of his posts and pics may not all be above board I will state accurately that he is in fact a plageurist.
Now since this has gotten a teeny bit heated and Bill has chided me to stir the coals, I have to ask this knowing full well that was that the wrath of the mods will surely heavily fall upon me, was that Pike pen raised or wild caught?

Merry Christmas everyone and may we all have a controversial New Yr

PS Rumor has it Bill Cody is having a bikini clad only ice fishing contest at his place in Janurary. Alto it has been in the 80s down here in Fl lately I may have to make a quick visit up to Ohio then. Hope you keep a good grip on your Johnson for that one Bill.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/23/13 05:39 AM
Sorry I forgot but if anyone can post a pic of Bill in a speedo, please DON'T
Posted By: Sunil Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/23/13 01:09 PM
"Merry Christmas everyone and may we all have a controversial New Yr"

Now that's funny!!!
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/23/13 04:42 PM
I think the photo is real too. If he is trying to extend the fish out he would have to lean back to counter-balance the weight of the fish. Chances are pretty good he just had a buddy with him and not a professional photographer. Those hands just look ridiculously huge.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/23/13 09:34 PM
Hey, Bob-O, please don't my post as being directed towards anyone on the forum. It was more in response to Bruce saying he's been attacked elsewhere by people claiming his pics are photoshopped when those people obviously know nothing about Bruce, his fishing prowess, or the bruisers he actually does catch. Of course, just to stir the pot, I accused him on just that on Facebook yesterday for the fun of it, so the controversial wish part of your post is going strong to close out this year!

I have always had a sense that Bruce is a masterplagiarist. He spouts movie lines like he wrote them!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/23/13 09:50 PM
I have no doubt that Bruce grows and catches big fish and has no need to exaggerate. I've seen that in person and have some of his outstanding genetic stock. And that includes no need to photoshop which he does not employ. However, one has to admit his photos would make one tend to believe he does, if you didn't know him due to the large size of the fish, and whatever lense or technique he uses.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/23/13 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138

I have always had a sense that Bruce is a masterplagiarist. He spouts movie lines like he wrote them!

I'm sorry--I don't speak freaky-deaky Dutch.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/23/13 11:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I have no doubt that Bruce grows and catches big fish and has no need to exaggerate. I've seen that in person and have some of his outstanding genetic stock. And that includes no need to photoshop which he does not employ. However, one has to admit his photos would make one tend to believe he does, if you didn't know him due to the large size of the fish, and whatever lense or technique he uses.

I couldn't agree more.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/24/13 01:42 AM
If you guys don't quit picking on me I will wear a speedo in my next boating photo of me controlling the ol'Johnson. And no ice fishing pics going to Bob-O for publicizing the winter bikini clad ice fishing foray. Blabber mouth. Corn King says Bob-O was just banished as an official judge of the best fitting bikini.
Posted By: gallop Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/24/13 02:19 AM
"speedo in my next boating photo of me controlling the ol' Johnson."

Easy there, this is a family website!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/24/13 02:23 AM
If you guys don't quit picking on me I will wear a speedo in my next boating photo of me controlling the ol'Johnson. And no ice fishing pics going to Bob-O for publicizing the winter bikini clad ice fishing foray. Blabber mouth. Corn King says Bob-O was just banished as an official judge of the best fitting bikini.

Modertately disturbing....but very insightful.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/24/13 04:14 AM
Not to revive the old story, but I personally witnessed this fish of Bruce's [and several other 9+ LMB]. The specific fish was every inch and ounce reported, and is a remarkable fish for NE. Condello will own the state record within 12 months, guaranteed, if he even wants it. He'll have earned it, that's for certain.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/24/13 04:23 AM
Bill, tell Jimmy if I can't judge I'll just show up in a bikini and let the girls know just what kinda friends you have.
Posted By: esshup Re: What's fishy about this picture? - 12/24/13 05:18 AM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Not to revive the old story, but I personally witnessed this fish of Bruce's [and several other 9+ LMB]. The specific fish was every inch and ounce reported, and is a remarkable fish for NE. Condello will own the state record within 12 months, guaranteed, if he even wants it. He'll have earned it, that's for certain.

TJ, I have no doubt of that. I'd say within 6 months.
© Pond Boss Forum