Pond Boss
Posted By: FireIsHot North East TX Get Together - 10/17/12 07:21 PM
As most of you know, George Glazener (George1) is our resident fly fishing guru here at Pond Boss Forums. George has kindly offered to help host a Mini Pond Boss get together at highflyer's place in North East TX.

So, if you're interested in spending time with a master fly fisherman, and maybe learning a few skills, please post a response and a time and date will be set up. Right now we’re shooting for November 10th or 11th, with a backup day of November 25th. This invite is for Pond Boss Magazine subscribers only, as we need to keep the cause rolling.

If you're not familiar with George, here's a little history:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=209788
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/17/12 07:50 PM
Sat Nov 10 works for me...
but whatever date allows for the best turn-out is what's important.

Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/17/12 08:08 PM
I'm in! I can't wait, this should be fun.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/17/12 09:17 PM
I'll be there.
Posted By: Omaha Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/17/12 09:51 PM
Have fun guys! Take pictures!
Posted By: george1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/17/12 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
I'll be there.

Hey Chris, we haven't heard from your neighbor FRpeeps - we had a PB blast at his place,last meeting.
Sure would like for him to attend and both of you bring us up to date on your ponds.
George
Posted By: Rainman Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/18/12 02:30 AM
Could a missouri guy show up and not get branded?..lol
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/18/12 02:46 AM
Rex if ya come...bring me a bunch of carp!

Posted By: djstauder Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/18/12 12:37 PM
HighFlyer,
Would you mind sending me what city this get-together will be or, if you'd rather not, calculating the drive time from New Orleans?
Thanks
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/18/12 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: djstauder

what city this get-together will be

djstauder I think you'd be safe to get a rough estimate by calculating the mileage from Mineola, Texas 75773 or somewhere close-by. It's a long way from the French Quarter!

Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/18/12 10:58 PM
Mineola is a good choice to use to figure out driving times.
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/19/12 01:02 AM
Brian if the dates and everything works out and it would help I can contribute a couple hundred dollars toward BBQ if somebody else can pick it up. But I've found at our SMU tailgates hotdogs/brats are just about as popular as BBQ.
Posted By: djstauder Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/19/12 01:19 PM
It looks like nearly 7 hours to mineola; thanks HF and Zep
Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/22/12 03:10 AM
I'm going to start a PM in a day or so for those interested, going once....
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/22/12 04:31 PM
Brian depending on the date I can probably make it. Also there is a guy that subcribes to PondBoss that I know from my previous shared lake property near Mineola that may come. His name if you are starting a list is "Coach Jim" and I would say he is 50/50 depending on his work schedule.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/23/12 11:19 AM
I'll be there if family stuff doesn't stop me.
Posted By: george1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/23/12 11:45 AM
Hope you can make it Dave!
Been missing my friends...
It will be a blast at Brians place!
Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/23/12 02:17 PM
Going twice......

Zep, I'll add anyone that is a possible to the list.

Dave, if you can make it, you can bring your grandson as well!

George, you are the best!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/23/12 03:54 PM
10th of November is looking like it could be a very nice day.

Dave, I'll be happy to finally meet you and Zep. You both contribute a lot, and although Brian and I have talked, he and George just sweeten the deal.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/24/12 10:58 AM
Brian, bringing that predator during deer season is probably not an option.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/24/12 11:45 AM
Guys, wish I could join you! I've got a week-long road trip planned starting November 4th, home late on the 11th. House sitters are in place, things are covered, but the timing doesn't work, or I'd be there with you.
Have a big time!
Posted By: mpc Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/24/12 05:52 PM
I should be able to make it. I travel for a living but would enjoy meeting fellow Pond Bossers. Please tell me what I should bring to help, food etc. I should be back in the saddle by the 5th of Nov. and could make it anytime after that.
If the slots are already filled, that will be fine and maybe next time.
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/24/12 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By: mpc
I should be able to make it.

It looks like the date will be Sunday November 11th with more details to follow.
Posted By: jkrueger Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/25/12 01:48 AM
I'd love to come and am happy to bring whatever I need to. Would look forward to meeting all of you!
Posted By: george1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/25/12 11:53 AM

OK folks – Brian has been promoting my feeble fly-casting skills at his up-coming party - so I must tell the rest of the story….
Those that have ‘em – bring ‘em …. your fly rod if you have one – know Al does!!

Some of us know the “dirty little secret” that drive the fly fishing purists mad is a PH pellet fly – or a Stubby Steve pellet fly – match the hatch for feed trained species!
A good management tool for removing unwanted species that steal your pellets – as well as harvesting intermediate BG, returning your trophies to grow larger and use pellet fly too large for small forage gills ….

After I show you how to tie Cecil’s famous “panty hose” fly – I’ll get Al to show you how to toss a handful of “chum” and catch a few of Brian’s CNBG or CC ….
grin
Should be fun and we will keep it short not to interfere with Brian’s agenda…
George
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/25/12 01:28 PM
George look forward to meeting you. I've been inspired by your success with hybrid striped bass and hope to add some to my pond sometime soon.
Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/25/12 01:51 PM
Agenda........

George, you give me way too much credit.....

J, I have PM'd you about the get together.
Posted By: george1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/25/12 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
George look forward to meeting you. I've been inspired by your success with hybrid striped bass and hope to add some to my pond sometime soon.
Me too Zep - some of my best friends began as "virtual" friends!
Gonna be fun!
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/25/12 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: george1
Me too Zep - some of my best friends began as "virtual" friends!Gonna be fun!

George I just got off the phone with your buddy Todd Overton and told him "I want some hybrid stripers like George has"!

Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: North East TX Get Together - 10/31/12 11:43 AM
George is good people.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/07/12 09:43 PM
Is it too late to attend this Get Together?
Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/08/12 07:01 AM
Buskwacker,

PM me with your number and I'll give you the details.
Posted By: george1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/08/12 10:43 PM
Originally Posted By: george1
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I certainly agree about Brian calling the shots on this.

And a rattle trap clone? Thinking outside the box is exactly what you bring to this for me. How dare you not throw a "classic" fly. grin

Somewhere in Montana, there's an Orvis clad, Sage using, fly fisherman having night tremors. I love it!

Anybody interested in “down and dirty” fly fishin’ besides me and Al?
Caught a bunch of Florida bass for Brian last week on this RT - Brian owes Mrs. G, a Fire Tiger model I lost. Bushy strcture eats RT’s so I tied up this weedless,/snagless bass bug.
Betcha it works….

No tweed coat, pipe smoking, Sage fly rod, Montana, Itsy/Bitsy purist fly fishermen need apply grin
George

This is what makes it rattle:

Any of you N/NE Texas guys/gals not coming to Brian's Field Trip/Mini PB Conference are going to miss out on a good party cool
Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/13/12 04:03 PM
Okay, it is official, the rain delay from last sunday is rescheduled for this saturday the 17th. out at our place.

Any last minute additions?
Posted By: Cisco Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/13/12 06:14 PM
I sure wish I could make it but I've got a grandson coming to hunt this weekend. I'll bet it's going to be a blast.
Posted By: esshup Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/13/12 08:01 PM
Rain delay? In Texas??
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/13/12 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Okay, it is official, the rain delay from last sunday is rescheduled for this saturday the 17th. out at our place. Any last minute additions?

highflyer....it's looking good for Saturday!

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/13/12 10:50 PM
Scott, I actually got 1/10 inch out of that and it feels like a deluge here. We had only 1 inch of rain during October. That and May are our "rainy" months.
Posted By: Sunil Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/13/12 10:53 PM
Have a blast, Freaks!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/13/12 11:17 PM
Funny you say that Sunil.

Brian gave me permission to bring a .338 Lapua, but said I couldn't bring FPSRussia with me. Guess I'll bring a fly rod instead. laugh
Posted By: Rainman Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/14/12 12:07 AM
Should I bring my .40 with me? Brian has some solar muskrats I hear.....

I'll be there!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/14/12 12:20 AM
I don't think there will be any shooting, because shooting one of Brian's "toys" could cause a solar flare. I'd be the first one out the gate. Because as we all know, you don't have to be first, just don't be last.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/15/12 02:56 PM
Wish I could go ,but I will be in Oakland for the game...sittin' in the owner's suite.....yeah I am kind of a big deal.
Yall have fun and take pics!
Posted By: george1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/15/12 03:25 PM
Lame excuse Fatty ... grin
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/15/12 03:27 PM
I know.....but I have made my share of mexican food lunches back in the day!!!
Posted By: george1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/15/12 03:34 PM
We need some more of those Mexican food lunches Fatty, but I need a designated driver these days and Dave D. won't come git me!!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/15/12 07:21 PM
Yes I will.
Posted By: george1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/15/12 09:34 PM
Dave and Fatty - let's do it!!!
We got more Pondbossers in the area now so won't have to impose -
bet I can hitch a ride from Plano to get our Ft. Worth Mexican food fix!
Lusk got hifalutin and moved to Big Cedar and us country boys kinda drifted apart .... yeah you were around before PB was in color and I wuz lurkin'. Brian, Zep, Al and others could help us ole timers fill up the big table!
Posted By: rockytopper Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/15/12 10:37 PM
Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/16/12 10:22 PM
ONE more day and IT IS ON!!
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/16/12 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
ONE more day and IT IS ON!!

I'm ready!

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/16/12 11:06 PM
Nice work guys - you better tear it up - wish we were closer!
Posted By: Rainman Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 03:55 PM
Had a blast!!! Thanks for hosting all us crazies Brian and Heather!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 04:06 PM
Had a ball!
Posted By: Sunil Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 04:38 PM
What kind of freakin' update is this?????

Weak...Freak.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 04:43 PM
That's like you take your kids to Disneyland and you get home, and someone says how was your trip and your kid says "ok".
We want details, and at least a couple of pictures!!!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 04:58 PM
Just hold on guys. Trying to get some pics put together.

No animals were harmed in the making of this event!
Posted By: JKB Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 05:28 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
No animals were harmed in the making of this event!

Yeah, but how many livers got a good workout laugh

It would be pretty difficult to get something like this going around here. I currently can not think of anyone that is less than a couple hundred miles away.

Glad y'all had fun!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 05:48 PM
Well it happened, and it couldn't have been a nicer day, or more fun. Brian's place was the perfect spot for this first get together, and we all certainly appreciate the effort Brian and Heather had in putting all this together.

Having something like this on a BOW seems like a perfect evolution to all that Pond Boss is about. We all met around 10 (with one late surprise guest for George, Eric West), and took a tour of Brian's place. He is intensively managing his lake, and spent time explaining what his goals were down the road. He set up a solar powered aerator that he's working on, and having the ability to set a system up in a remote region was interesting to say the least.

Brian's Lake (It ain't a pond)

But, George was the King for a Day, and we all got a lesson in what humility, knowledge, and fun can bring to the table. There's no way I believe that George is 88 years old. He has a intellectual drive, and a continuing sense of curiously that is rare in a person of any age. But, Nicky's the boss, so don't let George fool you into thinking any different.

After a lunch of great BBQ (thanks Mark), George sat down and demonstrated the making of the Cecil's pellet fly. The previously posted pics don't do this method justice. It's incredibly easy to make, and it's value makes perfect sense. Those of you that know George, know that he is probably not a fly fishing "purist" in some people's eyes. But, his match the hatch talk, changed that for me. If you're matching the worm, bug, or fish that a predator may eat, then a pellet fly makes perfect sense. It is in fact, matching the hatch.

George and Eric during pellet fly demonstration

After that George gave us all a casting lesson. It's a shame that people, including myself, think that casting a 1/64th ounce bait is tougher than it is. Believe me, George can hit a gnat in the air at will. We all paired up and practiced until we got the hang of it, then walked down to Brian's lake and fished for a while.

George and fly casting 101 class

There was much more that went on, but the fun of this 1st NE Texas get together can't be over emphasized enough. All of us there face basically the same issues, and successes, and sharing ideas was great fun. If any of you in other areas of the country have the opportunity to do something like this, then jump on it. It was in fact, that much fun.

Left to Right: Nicky, George, Eric, and Dave.

I'm sure others that were there will give their thought's and pics too, but these were mine. I'm tired of thinking now.
Posted By: george1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 07:06 PM
Mrs. G and I want to thank Heather and Brian for their hospitality and friendship for one of the very best days of our lives of food, fun and fellowship!

I have missed our PB friends since our Arlington days due old bones and health issues but Bob was forgiven when old friends made a surprise visit and I got to tell the Boss hello on Brian’s cell phone.

I had heard a sad story from the Guv about not about not being able to attend but he was a lyin’ thru his teeth when I felt a firm big arm grasp on my shoulder - what a welcome surprise…..next when I was a tryin’ to teach a bunch of Texas rednecks how to tie a pellet fly suddenly appeared my ole buddy Ewest behind my back - what a surprise - after a warm handshake and manly hug, I had to walk away….. He made a non-stop drive from Jackson Mississippi to attend Brians party!

Got to meet in person my good friends Al and Robbie when they volunteered to be our designated driver to Brian’s place.
Also Janice and Bill were highlights of the party.
I got to hug all the girls….!

Bunch of Ole hairy legged boys showed up and I’ll let them all ID themselves cause I might leave someone out.

All in all a very humbling and gratifying day spent with old and new friends - I hear by the grapevine that next years get-together is already in the planning stage.

Many - many thanks everyone!
George and Nicky
Posted By: rmedgar Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 07:16 PM
Now that's a good wrap-up!!!
Posted By: ewest Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 10:10 PM
Here are a few pics. Beautiful day , good friends , food and new memories. Thanks to our hosts Heather and Brian . I will let others comment on their pic.

Posted By: Sunil Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/18/12 10:42 PM
Great recap!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/19/12 01:39 AM
It was fun. George even taught Charlene how to fly fish. She caught a HBG.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/19/12 02:12 AM
WOW! That was a great gathering of some really nice people. Our host Brian and Heather were most gracious to put this event together. I met some really good people and learned a lot. George and his wife are really special. There were many others that I hope that I may call as friends in the future. Lets try to do this again soon.

Attached picture DSC04221.JPG
Attached picture DSC04206.JPG
Attached picture DSC04213.JPG
Attached picture DSC04214.JPG
Attached picture DSC04195.JPG
Attached picture DSC04191.JPG
Attached picture DSC04160.JPG
Attached picture DSC04161.JPG
Attached picture DSC04162.JPG
Attached picture DSC04166.JPG
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/19/12 02:15 AM
More Pictures!

Attached picture DSC04179.JPG
Attached picture DSC04155.JPG
Attached picture DSC04154.JPG
Attached picture DSC04151.JPG
Attached picture DSC04150.JPG
Attached picture DSC04149.JPG
Attached picture DSC04148.JPG
Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/19/12 02:24 AM
I'll post a few pictures here in a little, I just had to share one think first. It was one of the most profound things I have heard in a long long time.

Before I give you all the quote, I need to set it up a little for those who may not know George's history, so here goes. George grew up in East Texas. It was a small town where everyone knew everyone. At 17 George was welding on an industrial scale. By 19, George was on Saipan trying to keep our aircraft flying as a Buck Sergeant Inspecting welds ensuring our boys had a fighting chance. By 20, George had lost several classmates, friends, and comrades to the war.

George had been on the forefront of the oil and gas industry most of his life right up to retirement.

George has out lived most of the friends he had in his youth. George has survived two life threatening cancers that would have killed mer mortals, and knowing all that I was blown away but what George said after our boat ride. Here goes.

George said " Days like these make the journey worth it."

What a simply elegant statement, and it said it all.

Yesterday was about as perfect as it gets. The good Lord gave us perfect weather and he brought such joy to me and Heather as we do love our place, but sharing it is even more enjoyable. This was just the latest get together in East Texas, and it won't be the last, but I doubt there will be one that is more memorable for me.
Posted By: Zep Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/19/12 04:34 AM
That was a fun day. Meeting so many great Pond Boss people after "knowing" them on-line was pretty cool. Brian and Heather are great hosts and have a beautiful place. George was the star of the show. Lets do it again in the Spring.

Rex/Rainman with wife in canoe:

HighFlyer/Brian showing one of his projects:

Healthy bass on old reliable "H&H"

View from the dam:
Posted By: highflyer Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/19/12 02:45 PM
Okay here are a few Pics Heather and I took.

Dave teaching George how to cast a fly fishing rig!!

Bill and Janice back from a pond tour via canoe.

Mark, Chris, Larry, Janice and Bill having lunch.

Eric, Nickey, and George with Eric's poster for George. Checkout those smiles!!

Mark, Larry and Janice down by the pond having fun!

Heather's picture of the group!!

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/19/12 06:23 PM
Great recap everyone - sounds like a blast was had by all, and by all accounts everyone was very well behaved.

Dave...you look at though the flyrod was going to reach up and bite you - classic shot! Did you catch some BG flycasting?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/19/12 10:50 PM
Yeah, I caught one after George corrected one of my mistakes. I had overlooked a couple of things that you showed me in Missouri.

I like using the long rod. However, my fish have figured it out.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: North East TX Get Together - 11/19/12 10:55 PM
BTW, I got to put some real names with some PB "Handles".

Zep is Mark, Larry is Bishwacker, and Janice is Jkreuger.

One of the most entertaining things was watching Janice's husband Bill trying out a kayak that was just about his size. He didn't go back for seconds. He preferred the canoe.
© Pond Boss Forum