Pond Boss
Posted By: Sgt911 What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/29/09 04:22 PM
What in the world type of Caterpillar is this? At first glance I thought it was a Tree Frog.

Posted By: george1 Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/29/09 04:57 PM
Looks like a good "bass bug" to me ...
Looks squirrelly to me.
Posted By: Ebonbetta Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/29/09 05:16 PM
It's a caterpiller. Do a search on catapillers with eyes.
Some type of swallowtail. We talked about it in one of my classes yesterday.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/29/09 10:10 PM
Looks like a doggone field mouse head on an inchworm body!
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/29/09 10:13 PM
Look here: http://www.whatsthatbug.com/category/caterpillars-and-pupa/butterflies/swallowtail-caterpillars/

What's That Bug is a good site to identify bugs. If you send them a pic they will idenfify odd bugs.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/29/09 11:28 PM
did a little research, itsa Spicebush Caterpillar 5th instar Swallowtail like Chris said
http://bugguide.net/node/view/59036/bgpage
Posted By: Brettski Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/29/09 11:53 PM
OK, the big question.
Are those eyes, or only markings to look like eyes to scare off humans other predators
(it looks like a character from an animated cartoon)
awesome sites guys. Now I will be wasting the rest of my evening.

B'ski, I think the 'eyes' are on the rear end and are supposed to resemble small snakes, lizards and such. I love the Orange Dog, some photos look just like bird droppings.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/30/09 12:08 AM
Markings, many species of caterpillar have markings similar to that... Pretty cool!
Posted By: Anna Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/30/09 12:32 AM
It does look like a mouse! How cool!
Posted By: george1 Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/30/09 12:55 AM
 Originally Posted By: Anna

Originally Posted By: george1
 Originally Posted By: Anna

I'll take a dozen. Money is no object. throw in some $ gills.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: What kind of creepy-crawler is this? - 10/30/09 02:01 AM
burger, I've lost alot of hours just looking at all the bugs on those sites. Fascinating!
© Pond Boss Forum