Pond Boss
Posted By: therrien what should I do with my life - 10/01/09 11:07 AM
What should I do for a job? fish hatchery? Pay lake fishing? I know I want to do something with water.

Got to go..............................................................
Posted By: bobad Re: what should I do with my life - 10/01/09 12:19 PM
There's a lot more money in fireman, cowboy, and bush pilot, but nothing more relaxing and satisfying than ponding. Good luck with your career.
Posted By: Sunil Re: what should I do with my life - 10/01/09 12:33 PM
What is your educational background, etc. etc.?
Posted By: TOM G Re: what should I do with my life - 10/01/09 08:56 PM
Boy,talk about leaving yourself wide open,I would never ask a question like that around here.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: what should I do with my life - 10/01/09 09:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
Boy,talk about leaving yourself wide open,I would never ask a question like that around here.

And how. \:D

Blow Up Your TV, throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try and find Jesus on your own

-John Denver
Posted By: therrien Re: what should I do with my life - 10/01/09 10:16 PM
True enough ;\)
Posted By: ewest Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 01:00 AM
That is an age old question that many struggle with. You have a calling to find. Start with something that you are happy doing.
Posted By: esshup Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 02:35 AM
 Originally Posted By: ewest
That is an age old question that many struggle with. You have a calling to find. Start with something that you are happy doing.

Just make sure that what you are happy doing will pay the bills! ;\)
Posted By: 2catmom Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 02:48 AM
How about a Charter Boat Captain?
Posted By: Rad Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 06:50 AM
Based on my experience, being retired is way better than most anything else. However, ewest pointed out the fly in the ointment, covering the overhead.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 11:03 AM
No kidding. Full time goofing off can get expensive.
Posted By: therrien Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 12:01 PM
fish hatchery
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 12:45 PM
Look around your area to see what types of hatcheries are there. Ask for a job.
Posted By: Sunil Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 01:02 PM
You haven't really told us enough about yourself for any of us to offer any valid suggestions.
Posted By: Dwight Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 02:40 PM
I like being Barge Captain. It is only a part time thing and doesn't pay in dollars and cents.
Posted By: Beaver Boy Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 03:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: therrien
I know I want to do something with water.

You could work at a bottled water factory. \:D
Posted By: therrien Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 04:25 PM
yep, \:D
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 04:46 PM
The people at your local Acorn office might have helpful suggestions.
Posted By: Brettski Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 05:08 PM
I knew before I opened this thread that drawing Dudley out of his dark corner to respond to a thread titled "what should I do with my life" would put my keyboard in high risk from cola spray, so I clicked with my right hand and covered my mouth and nose with my left hand.
I gotta buy some rubber mittens. The entire wall needs to be re-painted.
\:D
Posted By: Wood Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 05:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
I knew before I opened this thread that drawing Dudley out of his dark corner to respond to a thread titled "what should I do with my life" would put my keyboard in high risk from cola spray, so I clicked with my right hand and covered my mouth and nose with my left hand.
I gotta buy some rubber mittens. The entire wall needs to be re-painted.
\:D

At least he didn't suggest raising and showing chickens.
Posted By: Omaha Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 06:46 PM
Need a lot more background therrien. Are you in school, out of school, planning on going to school? You asked what should you do with your life and then answered your own question with fish hatchery. If that's what you want to do, go for it. I'm sure it's rewarding. Not sure what you need to get into that business, but if that's what you want, shoot for it.
Posted By: Sunil Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 08:55 PM
Ah yes, a life of working with ANIMALS.
Posted By: jsand13 Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 09:18 PM
Im in the same boat your in therrien. Im 25 and have been running a landscaping and lawncare buisiness for the last 7 years since I graduated from high school. I went to colledge at nights for a couple of years for Criminal Justice but that just wasn't me. I make good money doing what I do but I can't picture myself doing it forever. Ive been racking my brain for the past few months trying to think of a profesion that I would enjoy. I thought about raising fish since I have 4 ponds just for some extra money I also thought about a Aquatic Weed control buisness. I could go around putting millweed and parrots feather in people's ponds at night to keep myself busy.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 09:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: jsand13
Im in the same boat your in therrien. Im 25 and have been running a landscaping and lawncare buisiness for the last 7 years since I graduated from high school. I went to colledge at nights for a couple of years for Criminal Justice but that just wasn't me. I make good money doing what I do but I can't picture myself doing it forever. Ive been racking my brain for the past few months trying to think of a profesion that I would enjoy. I thought about raising fish since I have 4 ponds just for some extra money I also thought about a Aquatic Weed control buisness. I could go around putting millweed and parrots feather in people's ponds at night to keep myself busy.

Eco Mow franchise! GA needs a presence. ;\)
Posted By: therrien Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 09:30 PM
1 I was homeschooled through highschool.
Posted By: Sunil Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 09:40 PM
OK. That's a start. How old are you now, and what have you been doing since graduation?
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 09:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: sunil
OK. That's a start. How old are you now, and what have you been doing since graduation?

And what were you doing before graduation? Obviously you have an interest in things aquatic, but how about experience?

Credit? Current liabilities? [GENERALITIES, not trying to pry, but this can have an obvious impact on how much risk you can accomadate, and how much money you may be able to borrow to get started.] Normally I'd never ask anything so specific about a forum member, but since you posted the question, I guess you want a serious reply.

Posted By: TOM G Re: what should I do with my life - 10/02/09 10:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Ah yes, a life of working with ANIMALS.

Thats what the moderators do here,are you guys hiring?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: what should I do with my life - 10/03/09 12:37 AM
All I can say is I'm sure glad I got my college education when I did. For those that have to pay today's tuition (or their parents) you have my deepest sympathy. Some of these kids are starting out with their degrees with a mountain of debt!

I'm all for education but the rates these days are outrageous!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: what should I do with my life - 10/03/09 01:29 AM
I just finally paid my loans off a couple months back. Only took 6 years after graduation!
Posted By: hang_loose Re: what should I do with my life - 10/03/09 02:28 AM
therrien, Please don't be afraid to answer these guys questions. If you want a job dealing with outdoors(water related specificly), answer their questions so they can point you in the right direction to get the career you like...
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: what should I do with my life - 10/03/09 11:15 AM
I do a lot of career counseling. To find a path you have to define a goal and that takes internal searching. Lots of people go out, get a job, wind up married, having kids, mortgages and are stuck. The opportunity for self actualization is pretty well gone at that time. As my father used to say, you can take just about any fork in the road and wind up somewhere. In life, we take all kinds of forks. Passions wane and new opportunities challenge us. If you don't pursue what you think you will enjoy, you'll always be miserable.

So, it's up to you to look inward and define a goal instead of just drifting.

A couple of confessions.

1. At dang near 67 YOA, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

2. My age doesn't bother me but growing up scares the beejeezus out of me.
Posted By: TOM G Re: what should I do with my life - 10/03/09 01:39 PM
Dave,you make me feel better,at 54 I dont know what I want to be when I grow up either.On the other hand,Im not going to grow up,so I guess its a mute point.
© Pond Boss Forum