Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 HOT! - 06/24/09 03:54 PM
I headed to my place Monday afternoon to get some work done. I arrived at 5:00 and the temp inside the trailer house was 102. It was 105 outside. I turned on the AC and walked out. I lasted until 2:30 the next day and headed back home to D/FW.

No letup or rain in the forecasts.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/24/09 04:06 PM
Dave,dont feel bad.I got home yesterday after spending all day working in the sun to my wife sreaming"the air conditioning is out,and you D*** sure better do something about it...NOW.The a/c being broke didnt impress me much after working outside all day,BUT,the expression on her face did.Lukily for me,it was in the wiring and I had it fixed about 2 beers later.
Posted By: Shorty Re: HOT! - 06/24/09 05:28 PM
It was 99 here yesterday afternoon with the heat index at 110 degrees. \:\(
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/24/09 05:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: Shorty
It was 99 here yesterday afternoon with the heat index at 110 degrees. \:\(

Shorty,my shop is a large metal building with no insulation.Its 12:40 and its 114 out in the shop.Later this afternoon it'll get HOT out there.
Posted By: bobad Re: HOT! - 06/24/09 06:14 PM
Got up to about 99 yesterday, low last night was about 78. Already hot when I walked outside at 7 this morning.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HOT! - 06/24/09 06:15 PM
Our AC went out Friday night and fortunately was fixed by 0830 Saturday morning. Bad electrolytic capacitor in the fan/compressor controls outside.
Posted By: Sunil Re: HOT! - 06/24/09 06:38 PM
TOM G, I love your unit of time.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/24/09 08:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
TOM G, I love your unit of time.

I learned that while living in Mich.I once asked the nieghbor how long it took to get to Detroit and he answered"4 beers if your not thirsty,6-7 if you are".
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/24/09 08:20 PM
Oh,by the way...its 3:10,and you dont wanna know how hot it is in the shop now.I dont look after lunch or I wont go out and work.Im in for a water break.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/25/09 05:49 PM
The bad news is its going to be over 100 today and tommorrow,but then a cold front comes through Friday night and we get relief for the week-end.Its only suppose to get 99 Sat and Sunday.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: HOT! - 06/25/09 10:16 PM
I finally took the cover off the air conditioner today, what a heat wave ,85. \:D ;\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HOT! - 06/25/09 10:39 PM
It's so hot that:

Trees are whistling for dogs.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

You've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot

water in the toilet bowl.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked

out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

Everywhere you look there is sunshine and warmth. It’s like living in the french fry bin at McDonalds.

You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.

You discover that it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.

The best parking place is determined by shade instead of

distance.

A sad Texan prayed, "I wish it would rain - not so much

for me, cuz I've seen it -- but for my 7-year-old."
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/25/09 10:49 PM
\:D \:D :DNow THATS political! \:D \:D \:D
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 06/26/09 02:09 AM
Bring on the heat! Everything hurts less. I love deer hunting season, but can wait for the cold weather.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/26/09 01:56 PM
Cecil,there is a bright side.We dont have any potholes in our roads anymore.We got this new stuff called liquid asphalt.
Posted By: Dwight Re: HOT! - 06/26/09 04:15 PM
When I want to feel like a Texan on these 90 degree days, I go out and work is the warehouse where it is 110 plus. It is a dry heat versus the wet heat outside where your glasses fog over from the humidity.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/26/09 05:12 PM
Atta boy Dwight,be sure to keep the cold beverage handy.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HOT! - 06/26/09 07:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
\:D \:D :DNow THATS political! \:D \:D :javascript:%20void(0); D

Do you see anything political there?
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/26/09 09:06 PM
Not anymore,but your post has changed too.And the weatherman lied to us again.Said it was gonna be 102 today and its 104.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: HOT! - 06/26/09 09:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: Tom G
Not anymore,but your post has changed too

The Cheney/Bush portion of the original post has been spirited to a server in a secret location off American soil.

I believe that is what they call in the business a "rendition".
Posted By: burgermeister Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 02:07 AM
It's a cozy 88 with 51% relative humidity at 9 PM in suburban
H-town.
Posted By: david u Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 02:48 AM

Cold front on Sunday...I can't wait..du
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 03:10 AM
Not anymore,but your post has changed too.

I didn't do it.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 02:17 PM
The thermometer at the feedstore across the street hit 106 yesterday.Whew,I hope its not gona get hot anytime soon.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 04:05 PM
It's all that cow flatulence.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 08:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
It's all that cow flatulence.

Hey don't laugh. I know a guy that is in the business of setting up and building the systems that burn cow manure to make electricity. He says you would not believe the thousands of head of cattle and the smell in some small areas of Texas. Said one facility burns at least several hundred tons of it every day from just near one town.

I think some of our Texan friends here can probably fill us in better.
Posted By: david u Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 08:56 PM
Must be up in the Panhandle..They don't really have anything else to do with that feedlot manure..du
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 09:13 PM
I distinctly remember a stockyard smell during my first trip to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in 1968.

It was all gone by PBCon I.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 09:37 PM
Yep, the stockyards are now a tourist attraction. Lots of souvenir shops and C & W beer joints.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 09:45 PM
I read recently that some of our "leaders" in Congress were contemplating a cow tax/permit, since cows are responsible for about 20%
of the methane gas that is released in the USA - this is according to the EPA. This amounts to about 2% of all the climate altering pollution in the US.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 11:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
I read recently that some of our "leaders" in Congress were contemplating a cow tax/permit, since cows are responsible for about 20%
of the methane gas that is released in the USA - this is according to the EPA. This amounts to about 2% of all the climate altering pollution in the US.

I'm not so sure that isn't an urban legend but I wouldn't doubt it either.
Posted By: bobad Re: HOT! - 06/27/09 11:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar

I'm not so sure that isn't an urban legend but I wouldn't doubt it either.

That's actually true. Gratefully, the tax was stricken from the bill.

Stranger still, termites produce far more methane than cows. I hope they don't start doing termite inspections so they can tax you.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 06/28/09 12:55 AM
8:00 and still 99 degrees outside. My thermometer showed 106.7 today at 2:00.

Yesterday was a record for electrical consumption in the D/FW metroplex. I figure today was another record.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/02/09 09:55 PM
Update,its 109 in the shade.Thats it,I've had it.Its 4:45 and I'm not gonna see 5:00 at work today.See ya tommorrrow.Its beer thirty in my part of Texas.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HOT! - 07/02/09 09:58 PM
65 and cloudy here. I can't cut hay because the rain that fell this morning is still stuck to the grass.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: HOT! - 07/02/09 10:40 PM
I checked the weather stats for up at the cabin, and not 1 day in june hit 80 degrees.
Posted By: Anna Re: HOT! - 07/02/09 11:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I checked the weather stats for up at the cabin, and not 1 day in june hit 80 degrees.

You know that those of us melting in the deep south hate you right now, don't you? After a sweltering 100 degree day my butt feels like fried bacon thanks to hubby's new leather interior, and my clothes are a size larger from the humidity and sweat. They just kept getting bigger and bigger all day. Not to mention the fact that my best friend called me "Anna the goat girl!"

80 degrees... All I can say is bite me! ;\)
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: HOT! - 07/03/09 12:31 AM
Y'all laugh at us when it's 30 below up here, it's Karma time.
or Miller time for TOM G
Posted By: Anna Re: HOT! - 07/03/09 12:33 AM
Well, then there's that. LOL! I would rather spend four months sweating than five months digging out of a snow bank!
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: HOT! - 07/03/09 12:46 AM
Here's some cool air for you hot pondmeisters.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/03/09 11:51 AM
Yesterday, the TV said it was 100. However, at my house, 2 different thermometers said 105.
Posted By: Anna Re: HOT! - 07/03/09 11:57 AM
Looking at that I think I will rescind my earlier request for you to bite me. While you are digging out of that snow bank, I will be running around in shorts or capris with a t-shirt and maybe a light jacket if it's breezy. Our winters rarely get below 30 degrees and most days are in the 40's and 50's. The summer sweating is the price we pay for such glorious winter weather.
Posted By: Anna Re: HOT! - 07/03/09 11:58 AM
The TV lies. Weather men should wear turbans and look like swamis! They only get it right half the time. \:D
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/03/09 01:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: Anna
The TV lies. Weather men should wear turbans and look like swamis! They only get it right half the time. \:D

Anna,as much as I try to avoid controversy,I beg to difer with you.The weatherman just aint that good. \:\)
Posted By: burgermeister Re: HOT! - 07/03/09 02:31 PM
No rain here the whole month of June. That's 90 miles N of NOLA. Pond went from overflowing in March, to 18" below normal pool. A drop of about 4 ft. Now too dang hot to work on the well pump.
Not wishing for a hurricane, just a small tropical storm and about 6-8 inches of rain.
Posted By: davatsa Re: HOT! - 07/08/09 10:20 PM
They say it's 109 in San Antonio right now.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=78201
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HOT! - 07/08/09 10:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
No rain here the whole month of June. That's 90 miles N of NOLA. Pond went from overflowing in March, to 18" below normal pool. A drop of about 4 ft. Now too dang hot to work on the well pump.
Not wishing for a hurricane, just a small tropical storm and about 6-8 inches of rain.

Be careful what you wish for Burger. That water in the gulf must be really warming up, which as we all know is fuel for Hurricanes. Anybody know what kind of water temps there are in the gulf right now?

Oh wait I found them here:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html

88.9 F. off of Freeport Texas? \:o Is that normal this early?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: HOT! - 07/08/09 11:13 PM
No, not normal, Cecil; neither are 10-12 days of over 100 in June, except maybe in Dallas, certainly not SW Miss. 89.7 sounds scary. I'll still take a tropical storm. Seems we never get any of those anymore. Scary also to see my house in Houston with 3 inch cracks between the soil and slab so early. Sidewalk to front door 4 to 5 inches lower than the slab at front door. Just not right. I always hate working in Aug., Sept on ships with AC not designed for this climate, now June? July.

Ike came nearly right over my house last year. Lucky I 'persuaded' neighbors to have trees cut down that were deseased, hanging all over my vehicle etc. 90% of damage seen was from trees, many times, neighbors trees. Also same for utility outages. My former next door neighbor had no less that 5 oaks planted when house was new, 30 yrs. ago. Gladly only 2 left, not near my house. 1/4 acre lots.
Posted By: ewest Re: HOT! - 07/09/09 01:55 AM
Burger we had a cool wet spring and an abnormally dry and hot June. We had .5 inch of rain in June when 5 inches is normal. We had at least a week of 100+ which we never have in June. You should have had some rain in the last few days.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HOT! - 07/09/09 02:11 AM
Eric,

We had a very wet spring this year, only one week of hot weather, but virtually no rain for a month now. I guess they have had the coldest summer since the 1940's in the northeast. I'm seeing on a fishing website up there the question is: When is summer ever going to come?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: HOT! - 07/09/09 02:40 AM
Next week I believe will be the answer...
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/09/09 11:29 AM
Summer is dang sure here around my area.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/09/09 12:45 PM
Come on Dave,it cooled off 2 degrees yesterday.It was only 104.
Posted By: bobad Re: HOT! - 07/09/09 01:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
No rain here the whole month of June. That's 90 miles N of NOLA.

We also had zero rain for June. We've already had 8" in July, and the cooler weather feels fantastic!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: HOT! - 07/10/09 01:37 AM
Glad to hear you have gotton some rain, Bob. I just dont know how you guys on flat land can keep the pond. I guess the water doesn't have far to seep. But the evap. has to take a toll.
You must have gotton the 8" last Sunday and again this Wed?
We got like an inch, just enough for the weeds to row.
Posted By: bobad Re: HOT! - 07/10/09 01:58 AM
Thanks Burg, we really needed it.

I think we got it Sunday night and Wednesday.

Got ~8" here at home in those 2 days, only ~4.5" at the pond, which is only 3 miles away. I saw some areas in town flood that haven't flooded in the 36 years I have lived here.

Strangely, my pond doesn't lose much water. My neighbor 500 feet away has to run his well a lot. My pond has never been more than ~15" down in 2.5 years.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/10/09 02:01 PM
I think we have achieved the no rain and always 100+ club.
Posted By: Mike Holliday Re: HOT! - 07/10/09 02:30 PM
107 driving home yesterday from Denton, helped load some hay and it felt like 120.
Posted By: davatsa Re: HOT! - 07/10/09 06:12 PM
It's cooler today. It's only 97 right now and projected high is 103. That would be a relief, unfortunately.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/10/09 09:07 PM
Yea,the weathermans great.Its 106 here,and with the nice gentle breeze blowing through the shop it only 134 in there.Ya goota love big old metal buildings.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 03:01 PM
I'm sorry you guys are so hot down there in the south. From what I hear there is no break in sight.

Here in northern Indiana it's been unseasonabley cool for July. It makes it into the low 80's if we are lucky. Rarely any humidity. It will only be on the sixties for a high on Saturday!
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 03:18 PM
Cecil,I wish you could have heard the weatherman this morning.It went something like this.

"Its already warm this morning and its going to be hot this afternoon.There's a cold norwestern front that could move south sometime this week-end.Its possible that if the front moves in,we could possibly cool from triple diget to double diget temperatures.Also,there might be a possibility of rain,in some places."

How about that for a weather forcast.
Posted By: jimmydee Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 03:43 PM
Three inches of rain last ight and a high expected Saturday -- 80*. My pond and yard are loving this.

We're 85 miles south of St. Louis & 13 miles west of the Mississippi.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 03:50 PM
How did Sunil politly say that? Dork
Posted By: davatsa Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 06:24 PM
The average temperature for the entire month (so far) in San Antonio is 89 degrees. That, of course, includes nighttime.

So far this calendar year, we've had 32 100+ degree days.

The tilapia are thrilled.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 07:36 PM
As hot as it is in Texas, it's just the opposite here. The weather guy said we're on a pace to set the coldest july in a 130 years of record keeping.
I would have to agree cause I had the wood stove on 2 nights ago.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 07:44 PM
High temperature today in Brookings is supposed to be 73 F. Now, I'll admit this is very unusual for July, but what a nice break. Plus, the humidity is also low -- cool and dry. Very comfortable.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 07:53 PM
Excuse me,let me fefrase what Sunil politly said.Dorks
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 08:09 PM
Forgive Tom, everyone. That's just the heat talking.
Posted By: Sunil Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 08:16 PM
"That's just the heat talking."

...or typing.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HOT! - 07/16/09 08:38 PM
Excuse me,let me fefrase what Sunil politly said.Dorks

Oh no Tom you'll get your turn. This winter we will probably be complaining about the sub zero weather. One thing for sure, AP will get a heck of a lot of snow.
Posted By: esshup Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 02:52 AM
5/8" of rain here in about 20 minutes, temp dropped to 64, forcast high Sat of 68.

I've stockpiled 6 cords so far for the winter, I figure 2 more should be plenty!
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 11:27 AM
This global warming is killing me. We are experiencing one of the coldest July's on record. If things warm up anymore, the pond will freeze over!
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 12:49 PM
The temp has dropped 35 degrees since yesterday afternoon. :oI'm looking for my longjohns and coat. Maybe it will snow later today.All kidding aside,this sure is a much needed break from the heat.
Posted By: davatsa Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 01:41 PM
Now YOU'RE the one rubbing it in, Tom! No relief down here. Another 100+ expected.
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 02:05 PM
You mean the weather varies that much across that little state?
Posted By: PFV Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 03:05 PM
I just saw the forcast for the DFW area....no triple digits in the next seven days. YAY!!!!!

As hot as it has been, for any of you who lived here in 1980, you gotta know it can be a lot worse...a LOT worse.

Got woke up by thunder early this morning and had to go look outside to see that beautiful rain running off my patio cover.

Ahhhhhh
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 03:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: RAH

It's not all one ZIP Code.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 05:25 PM
Davasta,I hope it makes it that far south,it was actually pleasant outside this morning.

PFV,I saw all 17 drops hit my yard this morning.
Posted By: PFV Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 06:29 PM
Tom, I got quite a bit of rain here. Rainguage is busted, but it closed up cracks in the ground.

Maybe you'll get some in the next couple of days.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 07:31 PM
Must be nice,I had to park my tractor so I didnt lose in one.
Posted By: mtalley Re: HOT! - 07/17/09 07:47 PM
It's been 104-105 around here lately, but the humdity is only 24%. A buddy came out to visit from Texas, seems like he lives near a lot of you guys. He was originally from Denton county but now lives in Montague.

Small world.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/18/09 10:27 AM
Ask him about the late Sheriff of Montague County.

Yeah, it cooled off yesterday. I don't think it got over 99. That's not hot.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HOT! - 07/18/09 01:05 PM
We had a line of rain come through yesterday afternoon that dropped the temp down to 63. I wore a long sleeve shirt and a vest fishing last night. It might make it to 70 today.
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/18/09 01:52 PM
Im not whining.Like Dave said,its under a 100,so that aint bad.Would really,really like some rain though.I almost remmeber what it looks like,almost.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: HOT! - 07/18/09 02:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
We had a line of rain come through yesterday afternoon that dropped the temp down to 63. I wore a long sleeve shirt and a vest fishing last night. It might make it to 70 today.

Pretty much the same thing here. Theo's cool front passed us about 10:00 last night. It was in the 50s this morning. I went outside about 8:00 AM, and quickly went back in to get a long sleeved shirt. Not a cloud in the sky. What a beautiful day.

Think cool thoughts!

Ken
Posted By: Rainman Re: HOT! - 07/18/09 03:28 PM
We enjoyed the front yesterday and it is to continue through the weekend. Highs 70-74 lows 53.

LOVE IT in July! I decided to hold off till today going to our land so I could at least enjoy the weather while the Sherriff is there.
Posted By: mtalley Re: HOT! - 07/18/09 04:15 PM
Dave,

I remember from last year something about the sheriff. I just googled it and holy cow, that is some crazy stuff. When I talk to my friend Sunday I will get the local gossip.

Weather here was 105 yesterday and looks like the same today.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: HOT! - 07/18/09 06:05 PM
hiya mt, its not any better up here. 104-105 yesterday same today.

i asked jhap if they "got ac?" of course i know they dont, and invited them up for an air cooled mini pondboss meeting today. should be fun. y'all drink lots......keep the fluids up \:\)
Posted By: PFV Re: HOT! - 07/18/09 07:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

Theo, remind me to PM you at Christmas, when I'll be wearing shorts and a T-Shirt, LOL. :)
Posted By: davatsa Re: HOT! - 07/18/09 07:26 PM
Davasta,I hope it makes it that far south,it was actually pleasant outside this morning.

PFV,I saw all 17 drops hit my yard this morning.

Tom, Maybe it did make it this far south after all. It only hit 100 yesterday...not 104 or 105. That is classified as a "cool front."
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/19/09 11:23 AM
Only 99 yesterday. Downright balmy.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: HOT! - 07/19/09 10:38 PM
I don't know how you guys handle prolonged heat like that... I guess the same way northerners handle prolonged cold, you just kinda get used to it.

Although, you can always put more clothes on, you can't always take more clothes off!
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: HOT! - 07/19/09 11:05 PM
its well over 100 again today and the downstairs ac broke
Posted By: davatsa Re: HOT! - 07/19/09 11:33 PM
That stinks, Dave. Now you're really having fun...
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: HOT! - 07/20/09 08:48 PM
well i got the downstairs one fixed today.....$400.......now the upstairs one broke........my temper is the only thing i seem to be able to control.......for now..........
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: HOT! - 07/21/09 01:43 PM
105 at our place on Saturday and Sunday. We drove home yesterday - thankfully the car has AC. JWHAP and I were very greatful to share time with our friends DIED and DWIED in the airconditioned home. I'll post more about our visit in my thread!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HOT! - 07/22/09 11:14 PM
I found this photo illustrating how the heat in TX is affecting the deer herd:

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: HOT! - 07/23/09 12:33 AM
That's funny, send that to al gore, Tenn. is experiencing record cold.
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 07/23/09 12:54 AM
Funny looking deer...
Posted By: davatsa Re: HOT! - 07/23/09 01:20 AM
That's a sika doe.

Talk about good eating...

Sika and axis deer are some of the best table fare out there.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: HOT! - 07/23/09 01:29 AM
It's amazing how much bigger the sika deer are in Texas as opposed to the Eastern Shore of MD, but once again the saying holds true: Everything's bigger in Texas! I think the size difference is the food and there are different subspecies of sika deer.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/23/09 03:07 AM
Yeah, it looks like a Fallow doe.
Posted By: davatsa Re: HOT! - 07/23/09 03:55 AM
Ya know, Dave...that might be a real dark fallow doe. Now I'm second-guessing myself.

We do have some large sikas, but now I need to compare/contrast the dark fallows and the sikas. It's easier when they're bucks because the horns are so different on the two species that it's a dead giveaway.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/23/09 10:36 AM
I don't know much about either. A guy down the road from me raises Fallows behind a high fence and lets "hunters" shoot them. However, I have never been close to either a sika or axis so don't know anything about them.
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 07/23/09 08:40 PM
resembles a young elk
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/23/09 09:32 PM
maybe so.
Posted By: PFV Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 01:37 PM

Here's a couple of factoids for ya RAH.

1. To drive across our great State from east to west, El Paso to Texarkana, you would cover 815 miles and take 12 plus hours.

2. To travers Texas north to south, Dalhart to Brownsville, well it's a bit further. 880 miles 14 plus hours.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 02:12 PM
The Panhandle is as cold as Colorado.

El Paso is about like Phoenix.

SE Texas has it's share of Florida like swamps.

Fort Worth is like the Garden of Eden.

Dallas and Houston are; well, never mind.

I hear Dawson used to be a nice place until a powder monkey moved in.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 02:57 PM
In 2000, JWHAP and I drove across Texas. It took us two days. When I mentioned this to a long time friend of mine, that is a pilot for United Airlines, and who is now living in Texas, he said to me "You drove across Texas? Why do you think airplanes were invented?" \:D
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 03:38 PM
I hear Dawson used to be a nice place until a powder monkey moved in.

Yea,but on the bright side,all my ex-nieghbors property values went up after I moved.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 03:41 PM
This is about the size of it:

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 04:02 PM
Voluntary move or tar and feathers?
Posted By: TOMGINDISGUISE Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 05:06 PM
Geez,it seems like you folks are awfully hard on this Tom G fella.
Posted By: Sunil Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 05:16 PM
Sounds like someone needs to be fired again...
Posted By: Brettski Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 05:19 PM
Sunil, it gets to the point that it's like having a relative working for you...
Posted By: TOM G Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 05:19 PM
Dang Sunil,I didnt even get away with one post?
Posted By: Sock Puppet Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 06:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: TOMGINDISGUISE
Geez,it seems like you folks are awfully hard on this Tom G fella.

This TOMGINDISGUISE guy seems like quite a fellow!
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 07/24/09 09:29 PM
Well its been a long fishing trip, but I finally caught a PFV.
Posted By: Rainman Re: HOT! - 07/25/09 03:42 AM
Yea,but on the bright side,all my ex-nieghbors property values went up after I moved.

And some of the smaller pieces are still falling after the explosions!
Posted By: PFV Re: HOT! - 07/25/09 10:37 PM
Well its been a long fishing trip, but I finally caught a PFV.

Well you should really, really be proud.....you got a proud Texan to brag. Wow.

Theo - Your map is accutate.
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 07/26/09 11:19 AM
Hey, I couldn't resist. You live in a great state and should be proud. I am just surprised it took so long. I'm kinda disappointed. I love to hear proud Texans brag. Everyone should be so loyal.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: HOT! - 08/17/09 08:21 PM
It's 88 degrees here, summer finally came. ( I guess this is a cold front in Texas weather).
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 08/17/09 10:47 PM
Yep, that would be a cold front. 102 here today. Last week was middle 90's and seemed downright pleasant.
© Pond Boss Forum