Pond Boss
Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre Pleasantly Suprised - 03/20/17 01:44 PM
So, I always knew there were some left over fish in my pond but I couldn't ever figure out what. I tried fishing it, trapping them, feeding them, etc. I could never figure it out. So, I assumed it was empty enough and went ahead with my stocking plan. I stocked a few weeks ago. Yesterday I was walking around the bank and saw several large group of fry. It caught me off guard. Nothing I stocked should be big enough to spawn, especially not this quick. Then, yesterday afternoon while I was feeding the sun was hitting the water just right to finally be able to see fish coming to the surface. I saw several hand-sized bluegill feeding like crazy. So, my forage development is much further along than I anticipated. I also saw several of my newly stocked LMB chasing the smaller bluegill during feeding time. Everything appears to be progressing smoothly. My 6 and 4 year old kids aren't showing much interest yet, but my 2 year old boy flips out when he sees me get a scoop of feed from the feed sack. He loves feeding the fish.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Pleasantly Suprised - 03/20/17 02:05 PM
Good for you and your kids. It's always nice to hear of a pleasant surprise, it's usually something like a leak, GBH or poachers. Your older kids(Ha, 6 and 4, with numbers like that, I could some serious damage) will appreciate things much more when they have one of the BG tuggin on their line.
Posted By: stickem' Re: Pleasantly Suprised - 03/20/17 02:06 PM
Nothing surprises me any more. When my pond was renovated (enlarged), I was convinced there were no fish in it. When we cut the levee and pumped it down, the neighbors kid picked up an easy 100+ BG live and transferred them to their pond. There were also several LMB in the 2 lb range that did not make the transition. My pond was completely dry when it was enlarged (in August 14). But the day after it was completed, we had a huge rain system stall on top of us and my pond filled up overnight with the help of a nearby (dried up) creek. Since then, I have caught species that I did not stock...Green Sunfish and Dollar Sunfish to name a couple. If you have a creek nearby, your pond was not completely dry when renovated, or you just have a neighbor trying to "help" you out (bucket stocking), don't be surprised. So again, nothing surprises me.
Posted By: snrub Re: Pleasantly Suprised - 03/20/17 02:44 PM
It is amazing just how far small fish can go both upstream and downstream during large rain events and flooding, in extremely shallow water.
© Pond Boss Forum