Pond Boss
Posted By: george PB POND FLIES - 03/19/07 10:45 AM
I’ll be tyin’ flies at the PB conference this week, mainly “beginner” flies, to introduce anyone interested in tying their own pond flies.

I have given away literally dozens of flies to PB forum members the past couple of years, but that’s going to change.
No more give-aways – you’re gonna have to learn to tie your own.

I’ll help anyone interested with a quick and dirty lesson, to get you started with instructions, materials and basic equipment needed.

See ‘ya at the conference.

It’s gonna be fun.
George Glazener
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/19/07 03:47 PM
Dang, no more welfare.
Posted By: ewest Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/19/07 04:22 PM
George says he can teach us how to tie at least some of these. Maybe we can get Theo to work his engineering on one and DD1 to work his magic on one and I can take a pic of them and the work and post it.

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/19/07 05:50 PM
I am sure with george's patient, expert coaching, I can tie flies that look almost, exactly nothing like what they are supposed to (ask about my origami boulders). But perhaps my fish don't see any better than I do.

DD should do OK.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/19/07 10:40 PM
OH MY GOSH! I want some of those! And I have only fly fished a couple time in my life. I wish I was going to be there, Next year though I should have my calender open.
Posted By: Eastland Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 01:56 AM
Ok George, I'm in...I want to learn how to tie the "pellet" fly ! \:\)
Posted By: Frank Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 02:42 AM
I cannot be there but I would love to see a video of George teaching how to ty the pellet fly...!

Frank
Posted By: george Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 09:49 AM
OK, the pellet fly is on the top of the list.
IMO this is the easiest fly to tie (for the purists, my definition of a fly is anything that can be cast with a flyrod and line), and the most productive fly ever developed for feed trained fish.

Credit goes to Greg Grimes, who suggested a small pellet shaped piece of cork glued to a small hook, to Cecil Baird who uses actual pellets in a “patch” of women’s “unmentionable” material, and to Bruce Condello for his PomPom idea.

It can be be tied with a minimum of tools and skill.
I use it more than any other fly to “survey” conditions of our feed trained fish.

Any other special requests?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 11:13 AM
The pellet fly is indeed easy for George to tie. For some of who have big toes where our thumbs oughta go, it's tough to do right. Of course, I refer to "right" as getting it to look like Georges.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 11:20 AM
Thke one on the right looks VERY familiar. $gill?
Haven't seen mine since Nov.
Posted By: ewest Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 12:40 PM
George how about a word or two about the Pond Boss Convention special fly? \:D !!!!
Posted By: george Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 01:20 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
George how about a word or two about the Pond Boss Convention special fly? \:D !!!!
OK, about the special PB convention fly.
Eric and I exchanged some ideas about flies and he suggested simple pond starter flies, that would be effective and easy to tie.

The obvious was the pellet fly.

Another simple fly I call “Aunt Lydia Minnow”, tied with materials available from craft stores, and home improvement and/orhardware stores.

It’s aYARN fly:
Basic material being polyester knitting yarn, available from craft stores or Wallyworld. Brand name I use is “Aunt Lydia’s Craft and Rug Yarn”, but any poly yarn will work.
Thence the name.

Any hook you have will work but usually #4’s.
Bead chain for eyes.
Super glue.
Sally Hansen’s “Hard as nails” finger nail polish.

The fly can be “gussied-up” with flash, spinners, and can be fished at any depth depending on how heavy its weighted – the eyes alone are usually sufficient.

I’ll tie the $Gill if enough folks are interested – BUT -it’s not a simple fly.

Posted By: Matt Clark Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 05:28 PM
Wow...you guys are really bumming me out. I can't get to Texas for this, and you all will be learning to tie flies, on top of everything else...dang it.
Posted By: Sunil Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 05:38 PM
We're gonna drink some beers too, Matt!
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/20/07 05:39 PM
Dang it, Sunil. There ya go, just gettin' all mean and stuff, now... \:D
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/21/07 02:05 AM
Matt, I'm gonna force feed Sunil some tequila. He needs to lose some of his inhibitions and kinda loosen up.

Oh, you're not coming? After all of the remodeling? Doesn't seem fair. Here you go and furnish a nice, new, eyecatcher for the wall. Don't seem fair.
Posted By: Sunil Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/21/07 02:11 AM
OK, Dave, but only Patron for me, and no more than ten shots unless, that is, you want to see me curled up in the fetal position on the floor of the Wyndham bar.
Posted By: Eastland Re: PB POND FLIES - 03/21/07 03:12 AM
George, I'm not sure I can handle all this in 2 days. We love HSB, I want to tie the Lydia too, please let me know if you plan on tying one during the conference, \:\)

p.s. maybe the pellet fly is easier, and I can rapidly advance and tie two !
© Pond Boss Forum