Pond Boss
Posted By: FamilyTradition Pond Veggies - 09/05/06 02:58 AM
I seem to be overrun every summer with four major types of pond weeds. Have identified primrose and smartweed but need help with the other two and are they candidates for grass carp?

Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Pond Veggies - 09/05/06 04:01 AM
The top one looks like stringy examples of chara. (see if it smells musty, similar to a skunk..also see if it feels crunchy.) If it is chara, it is a candidate for grass carp.
The bottom one is yellow creeping water primrose, not a good candidate for grass carp.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond Veggies - 09/05/06 12:31 PM
FT:

I can read the "76" in the top picture, but can't see a number in the second. Does that make me color blind or just strange?
Posted By: FamilyTradition Re: Pond Veggies - 09/05/06 12:58 PM
I think Theo may in fact be from Arkansas and the Central Ohio address is just camo to throw us all off.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Pond Veggies - 09/05/06 01:03 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
FT:

I can read the "76" in the top picture, but can't see a number in the second. Does that make me color blind or just strange?
A+ !!!!
LOL
I see the 76 as well

but did you see the sailboat in the bottom one, you have to stare really hard.
Posted By: george Re: Pond Veggies - 09/05/06 01:42 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lusk:

The bottom one is yellow creeping water primrose, not a good candidate for grass carp.
Bob, I don’t want to get in trouble again with the scientists, but GC has done a good job on controlling our water primrose.

Could it be because they were “feed trained” on it, since water primrose was the only aquatic vegetation available for GC at the time, stocked four years ago?
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Veggies - 09/05/06 02:09 PM
We have the yellow var. . Here is what TAMU says about control:

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/emergent_plants/water_primrose_mgmt.htm
Posted By: george Re: Pond Veggies - 09/11/06 07:09 PM
Ewest reminded me recently in a PM discussion about water primrose control, that it is the least favorable diet of grass carp, but goats will wrap their lips around it, pull and eat the entire vine:

By coincidence, I just received this photo from my DIL, showing the goats in newly enclosed pond fence.

They think willows are desert – now if they will just eat cattails.
Biological weed conrol..
Thanks ewest

Posted By: FamilyTradition Re: Pond Veggies - 09/12/06 12:01 AM
Bob was right , it’s chara alright but a rare dyslexic variety.

Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pond Veggies - 09/12/06 01:31 AM
\:D \:D
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Pond Veggies - 09/12/06 01:36 AM
thats the best laugh i've had in a week.....thanks FT and Th3o!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pond Veggies - 09/12/06 01:54 AM

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE DEFINITION OF A DYSLEXIC, AGNOSTIC, INSOMNIAC IS?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond Veggies - 09/12/06 02:42 AM
Someone who stays awake all night trying to decide whether or not there is a dog. :rolleyes:

P.S. Get that Code Red out of there - I think it must be for radicals or something.

P.P.S. I love you guys!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Pond Veggies - 09/12/06 12:12 PM
\:D
© Pond Boss Forum