Pond Boss
Posted By: Slopfishin Weird Fish Die Off - 03/20/06 03:14 PM
Last week a buddy of mine was down at our pond fishing when he noticed 7 dead mature bluegill and 1 dead mature crappie. No dead bass were seen.

I have not clue what's going on.

Here's some info on the pond:
-2 acres
-Has both deep areas and shallows flats
-The dam was raised about 4 feet a year and a half ago causing alot of vegetation to be flooded.
-pH unknown.
-Water temp 50-55 degrees

That's reall about all I know. Any idea what happened?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Weird Fish Die Off - 03/20/06 03:34 PM
For what it's worth, winter can be the most stressful time of year for fish. Assuming 30% natural mortality annually on panfish, it would not be unusual to see some mature fish floaters this time of year. I personally see it every year when the water starts to warm. In a pond that size, eight fish doesn't sound like a significant concern.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Weird Fish Die Off - 03/20/06 03:43 PM
I see a small number of mature male BG's die off every spring in our pond, to me it seems they are in prespawn mode but the water is just a tad bit too cool to bring the females in yet. I think the males get "stressed" from waiting and a few die.
Posted By: Slopfishin Re: Weird Fish Die Off - 03/20/06 03:46 PM
Thanks Bruce. I kinda wondered if maybe a quick change in water temp might have been the culprit. Hopefully that's all it was.
Posted By: Slopfishin Re: Weird Fish Die Off - 03/20/06 03:54 PM
Thanks Shorty.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Weird Fish Die Off - 03/20/06 06:42 PM
If the male species of humans got that stressed waitin fer females, the population would decrease ta the point of eliminatein world hunger, global warmin, and force most govs inta bankruptcy !!!!!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Weird Fish Die Off - 03/20/06 06:59 PM
Well Bob, this was just an observation I see almost every spring, the number of dead male BG is usually pretty small when the waters temps are "almost" there yet but not quite for spawning activity. A few male BG start "popping" up 4-5 days after the latest full/new moon. I'm guessing that they just spent a great deal of energy making a nest, defending the nest, and then don't eat much while they are waiting, thus adding to the stress factor when their blind date is a no show. If this occurs right after the full or new moon then they are always 100% males that pop up. The number is usually small, 1-2 dozen big BG males in our 10 acre pond which is pretty insignificant IMO.

One of the other things I see earlier in the year a are an even smaller number of BG with a fungus infection that did them in shortly after ice out.
© Pond Boss Forum