Pond Boss
Posted By: Tony Beltrani Finding water leaks in your Pond - 01/31/05 04:21 AM
What is the best way to find leakage in a pond wall? I've tried about everything I can think of,but nothing seems to work. I have a wet spot behind the dam. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Finding water leaks in your Pond - 01/31/05 06:30 AM
Tony,
That's one of the most frustrating problems in all pond management. Take some time to search these posts and you will find lots of conversation about that topic.
But, you have to dig to find the leak, somewhere, some time. I have seen leaks through a dam, under a dam, around a dam, through the side walls of a pond, and through porous bottom soils. I have seen leaks go through a gravel vein no larger than a garden hose, and pond go dry within three days of filling. Water seeks the path of least resistance, but often keeps that path a secret, just to torture guys like us.
You should give our good friend, Mike Otto a call. Plus, new advertiser Nick Jones is an outstanding earthmover from Paris, Texas, not far from DeQueen. Their numbers are in Pond Boss magazine.
Posted By: Panhandle Re: Finding water leaks in your Pond - 01/31/05 09:56 PM
My new pond is losing 1-2 inches a week. The guy who built it told me that if it leaked, it would leak in the northwest corner. I wonder about putting something down (liner?) just in that particular area. Anyone ever tried that? Better idea?
Posted By: Shane Kennedy Re: Finding water leaks in your Pond - 02/01/05 08:40 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Panhandle:
My new pond is losing 1-2 inches a week. The guy who built it told me that if it leaked, it would leak in the northwest corner. I wonder about putting something down (liner?) just in that particular area. Anyone ever tried that? Better idea?
been there
tried that
didn't work
water will find its way under the liner
the only way to use liner is to line the whole pond
Posted By: Panhandle Re: Finding water leaks in your Pond - 02/01/05 09:40 PM
Thanks, Shane, for the info. Even if one lines the entire pond, do the liners work for sure? Mine pond is only one acre, but I notice that the liner is pretty expensive.
Posted By: Edward P. Eitel Re: Finding water leaks in your Pond - 02/02/05 02:11 PM
Panhandle,

Pond liners in my "neck of the woods" average about $1.00 per sq. ft. installed. One acre is 43,560 sq. ft.

They can be very effective and very expensive!

Properly placed bentonite, soda ash and (or) other chemical agents may be your best bet.

Good luck,
Ed
Posted By: Panhandle Re: Finding water leaks in your Pond - 02/03/05 03:26 PM
Thanks, Ed. I'll look into other means. That's too much $ for me.
© Pond Boss Forum