Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave Davidson Solar panels - 12/12/02 12:52 PM
I have solar panels on a couple of deer feeders charging 6 volt batteries. I have a 12 volt solar panel keeping one tractor battery charged and a 6 volt panel keeping my old 8N charged.

My question: Does it really matter whether I use a 6 or 12 volt solar panel on a 6 volt feeder battery? I expect that there must be some difference or is it just marketing?
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Solar panels - 12/12/02 06:16 PM
This may help. I sell a 1 watt solar panel for both 6 volt and 12 volt rechargeable batteries. I also sell a 5 watt solar panel that is neccesary if putting tons of use on the battery or in a low sunlight environment.
Posted By: Pottsy Re: Solar panels - 12/12/02 08:25 PM
Hey guys a 12v solar charger will work fine on a 6volt battery for sure. You would only be concerned if the battery was really small, or never used and the charger was getting direct sun for more hours then one could normally expect in a day. A 1 watt panel would take an awfully long time to overcharge any battery... even if the battery wasn't being used. Solar cells adapt to a certain degree in regards to output. You will find that depending on what it is connected to if anything at all even... the power output will change.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Solar panels - 12/12/02 08:52 PM
Greg and Pottsy, Thanks. This is not a big deal to me. Just a matter of curiosity. I put a multimeter on each of them and see that they really only throw a trickle charge. I'm kind of curious why they even bother with the 6 volts in the cheapo models that I bought at the Gun Show.
Posted By: kevin b Re: Solar panels - 12/13/02 06:45 PM
greg,

Do you have a web sight with information on the panels you sell? Might be interested in one for a remote feeder.

kevin
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Solar panels - 12/14/02 05:37 PM
Kevin website is lakework.com . Click on products, then feeders, link to Stren is also there. THe 1 watt solar panel is for 6 or 12 volt and runs $38.99 plus S/H.
Thanks for the interest.
© Pond Boss Forum