Pond Boss
Posted By: Curtis Shults Electro-shocking fish - 05/17/02 07:02 PM
I have a pond that is nine years old. I am trying to raise big bass, but I have not caught anything over four pounds. I am interseted in doing a pond survey by electro-shocking (legal in Texas private waters). Does anyone have any information on purchasing or building such an instrument?
Posted By: Editor, Mark McDonald Re: Electro-shocking fish - 05/17/02 08:55 PM
Curtis:

Your can-do spirit is to be admired, but why put yourself through the misery?

You could buy a boat, build an exaggerated front deck, erect a handrail, buy a generator, control panel, foot controls and fashion yourself the front boom for electrical leads. What have you got then?

You'll end up with a tub that leaks, a heavy generator that bums your back when you try to move it, plus a control panel and foot controls that can seldom be used in any other application.

If you DO successfully build a shocker boat that works, do you have the knowledge necessary to operate it? What about the conductivity of your pond water? Is your life insurance current? (oh, sorry)

We get this question every year or so, and we always encourage the pond owner to simply plunk down $500-$700 (for a 3-acre job). It's a bargain.

You get the survey, the results and . . . drum-roll, please . . . the recommendations. That's where a pond professional earns his keep.

You'll come out money ahead retaining a professional. Building an electro-shocking boat and running it safely is a task best left to the experts.

Mark McDonald
Editor, Pond Boss
Posted By: tim k Re: Electro-shocking fish - 05/19/02 10:34 AM
I second Marks suggestion - I have had two surveys done over the years and they are very helpful in getting a snapshot of where your pond is in its development. Not only does the biologist have the equipment, they have the "game plan" on steps to manage your pond - don't go it alone on this project.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Electro-shocking fish - 05/20/02 01:31 AM
Electrofishing is an excellent choice. Hire it done not only because of the equipment factor, but also to interpret the data. Shocking fish is one thing, but understanding that "snapshot" is another. Different ratios of fish, relative weights of predators, ratios of sizes of fish within the species...all play a role in decision making.
© Pond Boss Forum