Pond Boss
Posted By: GaryLamm Pond Soil Erosion - 01/05/21 02:51 AM
I am new to this site and I am a new land owner (1 1/2 years) located in east Texas with 4 small ponds (approximately .2 acres each) and 2 larger ponds (2 acres and 4 acres). One of my .2 acre pond has no fish in it and most of the year is muddy looking. We recently build a barn (not shown in this picture) close to this pond and want to "pretty it up." I want to sink some cedar trees, stock it with some channel catfish and BG, and provide supplemental feeding. At the deepest it is approximately 7 feet. The water level has not dropped hardly at all during the brief time we have owned it. I believe that the water clarity is muddy due to the soil erosion from water heading into the pond. See picture below.

Question - What type of grass should I plant to stop the erosion?

Thanks.

[img]https://photos.google.com/u/1/share...YXBGT0pHdkFTVGM2bjNZX0NuMGlsOUh2YWN0WGl3[/img]
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Soil Erosion - 01/05/21 06:37 AM
Gary:

Welcome to the forum!! While I am a few miles from there, I can offer a bit of advice.

1) Get a soil test done to see if the pH level in the soil is good enough for growing plants and also to see if the nutrient levels are high enough to grow the plants. There is no point spending the $$ and effort to put out grass seed if it doesn't have enough to grow.

2) While we have a very hard time growing Bermuda up here, down there it does very well and it will fill in any bare areas that were too lightly seeded.
Posted By: GaryLamm Re: Pond Soil Erosion - 01/05/21 02:26 PM
Thanks. I'll take a soil sample. Any idea where to get it tested?
Posted By: jludwig Re: Pond Soil Erosion - 01/05/21 06:32 PM
Texas A&M should have a soil lab.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Soil Erosion - 01/06/21 12:22 PM
Welcome. Dang, that is muddy.

What part of East Texas?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Soil Erosion - 01/06/21 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by jludwig
Texas A&M should have a soil lab.

Texas A&M Soil Testing
Posted By: GaryLamm Re: Pond Soil Erosion - 01/06/21 05:16 PM
Buffalo, Texas

Some times during the year it looks clear but after it rains it looks like this.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Pond Soil Erosion - 01/06/21 09:37 PM
Hey Gary welcome to the family.... I’m out of Buffalo toward Oakwood and have a 6 acre pond that I had to lime to clear it up... if it’s run off doing the muddying then plant grass in spring or rye now to help slow the erosion.
Posted By: GaryLamm Re: Pond Soil Erosion - 01/06/21 10:47 PM
Thanks Pat. I'll give that a try. I bought some deer blinds out in Oakwood. That's a pretty drive from Buffalo to Oakwood.
© Pond Boss Forum