Pond Boss
Posted By: John Wann Pond Nightmare! - 06/06/15 01:48 PM
Anybody else see the problem here?
http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/weird/2015/06/05/10-acre-lake-vanishes/28584441/
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Nightmare! - 06/06/15 02:46 PM
What is it?

The dam broke, and ??
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond Nightmare! - 06/06/15 04:05 PM
Large trees with extensive berm penetration of roots. It would take an entire removal/reconstruction to be made safe again.
Posted By: wowens1604 Re: Pond Nightmare! - 06/08/15 01:54 PM
That lake was about 10 miles from me. I looked on google earth, and they have 3 lakes in the neighborhood, and all of them have trees all over the dam. We had a couple of days with lots of flash flooding. We lost alot of shad over our emergency spill way. There is a pasture below the E spillway that our shad were washed into. There was a 3-4lb bass chasing the shad around in less than a foot of water.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Pond Nightmare! - 06/08/15 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Large trees with extensive berm penetration of roots. It would take an entire removal/reconstruction to be made safe again.

That and the dam didn't look to have good clay in it.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Pond Nightmare! - 06/08/15 05:16 PM
So what would be the right step plan of action here?

Take all trees down pull stumps and then rework the dam I guess? Then plant grass or sod?

RC
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond Nightmare! - 06/08/15 06:51 PM
Who can really say RC, without an actual site visit. If they want the lake back, and not have another failure be eminent, based on what little the video shows, a complete redo is about all that could be done.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Nightmare! - 06/08/15 07:13 PM
Ouch - hard to say what to do. If rebuilt then get some of the muck out as well.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Pond Nightmare! - 06/08/15 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Who can really say RC, without an actual site visit. If they want the lake back, and not have another failure be eminent, based on what little the video shows, a complete redo is about all that could be done.

Hey RM I figured the entire dam would have to be redone. Once you start pulling stumps no way are you gonna get the dam right again without redoing it all and brining in more clay.

I fear this could to me one day as I have a lot of trees on my dam that were there when I bought the place... I know one day I am gonna have to rework it I bet! Just a matter of when...

RC
© Pond Boss Forum