Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Wo it's windy here today! - 03/07/12 06:46 PM
Winds are gusting up to probably 50 mph (dont' know for sure because the anemometer stopped working). Temp is 64 and rising. I'll bet my ponds warm up from the 30's today!

Anybody else?

I once had my .62 acre pond go from some ice cover to 50 F. from top to bottom in one day with high winds and temps in the 70's.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Wo it's windy here today! - 03/07/12 07:01 PM
Its been windy here for five days in a row now. Blowing steady at about 30 mph but gust approaching 50 F.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Wo it's windy here today! - 03/07/12 08:38 PM
I'm going to go out and check the pond temps since I don't want to work today. blush

For some reason I don't like wind even in the house. It makes me irritable. Maybe it brings back bad memories of trying to control a boat in high winds while fishing. I've had more than one anchor pulled up in high winds, and been blown right over fish I was fishing for. grin

Edit: Biggest pond is 44.2 to 44.4 from top to bottom. 44.4 near shore on windward side.
Posted By: JKB Re: Wo it's windy here today! - 03/07/12 09:01 PM
It's blowing pretty good up here too!
Mid to upper 60's for temps.

The local weather station failed to advise of the wind conditions for today. They got a bunch of emails and calls about what's up with the wind! Early this morning (5am) they finally got it posted.
Posted By: Roy Fleming Re: Wo it's windy here today! - 03/07/12 09:23 PM
You need to come to Blowing Green Ohio, they just misspelled it when it was called Bowling Green
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Wo it's windy here today! - 03/07/12 09:25 PM
Update: I've lost three shingles and the log home is actually vibrating! grin

I think I'm going to McDonalds and get some unhealthy food. Don't have to make dinner tonight as the wife gets home late today. Can't concentrate in this wind!
Posted By: JKB Re: Wo it's windy here today! - 03/07/12 09:53 PM
You are better off in the wind. The other day I hit the local establishment before a tech seminar, and I was feeling a wee bit uncomfortable after forcing it in. It wanted to come out!!! I think that brain cell died that kept me away in the first place. Got a new live one now laugh grin

Hmmm... Shingle... McD... Log (not gonna happen) whistle
Posted By: esshup Re: Wo it's windy here today! - 03/07/12 11:08 PM
Cecil:

In regards to the temps in your ponds. When will the perch spawn, and is it strictly based on water temp, or does the moon phase have something to do with it too?

I picked up the rest of the wood that I need to build the pier. I danced all the way to Menards in Valpo and on the way back. Strong crosswinds the whole way.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Wo it's windy here today! - 03/07/12 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

In regards to the temps in your ponds. When will the perch spawn, and is it strictly based on water temp, or does the moon phase have something to do with it too?

Since I'm a lousy record keeper (actually rarely keep records) I'll defer to Dr. Perca (Bill Cody for those that don't know). Here's his data after I asked him the same question via email. Bill I hope you don't mind me posting this without asking. He sent me this email yesterday.

First eggs last yr 2011 were Mar 19
2010 Mar 19
2009 Mar 20
2008 Mar 29
2007 Mar 25
2006 Mar 25

WATER Temp today noon: 42.0F. I don't expect a much earlier spawn due to
day length. Water has been mostly 39F or less with freezing and thawing,
thus eggs are not developing a lot faster. Maybe a Mar 16-19 spawn due to
warmer spring.

Hey Bill someone in Ohio is selling fertilized perch eggs for $15.00 a pound!

Posted By: esshup Re: Wo it's windy here today! - 03/08/12 04:54 AM
Cecil, the news tonight said the wind gusts clocked 50 mph. I was out driving and I believe them!
© Pond Boss Forum