Pond Boss
Posted By: Theo Gallus Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/13/09 01:05 PM
Hey, all Stubby Steve's and other pellet fly fishers, what are you most successful tactics?

So far, I have had my best results fishing at the normal feeding time and chumming with 1 or 2 dozen pellets around a Stubby Steve's just under the surface.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/13/09 01:57 PM
Theo, you got it - chums the word ...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/13/09 03:48 PM
Yep chumming with pellets really makes the difference!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 01:25 AM
I must say that chumming allowed me to maximize the weight of fish caught on a Stubby Steve's pellet tonight - something over 47 lbs.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 01:40 AM
...might be some of the best eatin' in the world there. \:D
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 01:55 AM
How old is that carp Theo?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 01:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
How old is that carp Theo?

Just wondering the same thing.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:01 AM
Bruce, she was stocked in May 2003 at 10 or 12 inches.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:21 AM
Seriously 47 pounds? That's phenomenal.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:25 AM
Grass carp sure do pack the pounds on fast! That's lot of aquamax and aquatic vegetation...
Posted By: james holt Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:27 AM
what kind of carp is that? Is that a normal growth rate and how did you land it? Is it edible?
Posted By: james holt Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:27 AM
That thing is huge!
Posted By: ewest Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:36 AM
Like these

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:43 AM
From the internet:

Originally Posted By: Suttle Fish Farm
As an additional benefit the white amur meat is a delicious white meat that is considered a delicacy in many parts of the world. White amur was rated better than catfish, bass, or trout by a taste panel at Warm Springs, GA. and Auburn University.
White amur is another common name for grass carp...

Now whether you think they taste better than catfish, bass or trout, well that is up to you! I've never eaten one but I know common carp is actually better tasting than most people would think when they come from clean waters and are prepared properly.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:47 AM
I'm entirely serious when I say that I would eat grass carp before any fish in the world right now. It's fabulous.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:47 AM
....but it does take a little specialized preparation.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:48 AM
OK Bruce... We're dying to know, what is that specialized preparation? Or is that a future PB article?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 02:50 AM
Carefully remove all of the red meat on the sides. It's greasy and (IMO) unpalatable.

Then I generously rub on lemon pepper, and slow smoke with apple wood for a couple hours.

I'm droooooooling right now.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 03:35 AM
Sounds good... I am betting that recipe would work on all the other nasty Asiatic carp that are running a muck in the Mississippi now as well.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 04:23 AM
Theo:

Fly rod or ? That one is huge!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 09:17 AM
Zebco 33 Legacy on a 25 year old Fenglass, with a Stubby Steve's pellet on a #6 gold finish Aberdeen.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 01:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
From the internet:

Originally Posted By: Suttle Fish Farm
As an additional benefit the white amur meat is a delicious white meat that is considered a delicacy in many parts of the world. White amur was rated better than catfish, bass, or trout by a taste panel at Warm Springs, GA. and Auburn University.
White amur is another common name for grass carp...

Now whether you think they taste better than catfish, bass or trout, well that is up to you! I've never eaten one but I know common carp is actually better tasting than most people would think when they come from clean waters and are prepared properly.

Y'all know that I'll try most anything. And, I know Bruce likes them. The meat looks absolutely fantastic. But, I've tried grass carp multiple ways - smoked, fried, deep fried, pickled . . . Maybe it was just the ones from my pond that had an odd taste, but neither my wife, nor I, liked it. I guess it is an aquired taste. The bear got most of it when I threw it out behind the barn. He only left the scales.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 04:57 PM
Theo, I know what a stubby Bob is but what is a stubby Sreve? Ewest, is that Dr. Bruce holding those Pirate Carp with his 4' arms? Catmandoo, where do ya find roadkill Carp?
Posted By: Brett295 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 05:05 PM
Nice, I've been wanting to catch one of the carp in my pond. They look pretty big. I'm going to have to get some stubby steve pellets.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 07:04 PM
Bob-O you serious or pulling our leg? Stubby steve has ad in PB now. I started selling/giving to good clients b/c I too love them. http://lakework.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=139&parent=12 dang link is not working to sell but shows you about them.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/20/09 10:28 PM
I'll have some results this evening from fishing with Aquamax LMB Pellets. I shut off the feeder for a few days and only am throwing out enough AquaMax LMB Pellets until the fish stop feeding. One benefit from using them is that the large CC are really getting interested in taking the larger pellets. I figure if I rubberband a larger hook to one, it would be an easy way to catch some of the larger CC's out of the pond. Pics to follow this evening if I'm successful.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/21/09 12:36 AM
Those suckers are smart! I had a couple come up and look at it, turn away and suck one down that was a foot away. Hotdogs under a tiny bobber is on tomorrow's menu.
Posted By: Rad Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/21/09 01:20 AM
Theo,
That is a nice fish, 40 inch, 47 pounds, raised by you, and caught by you; must give you a special feeling of accomplishment.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/21/09 01:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Catmandoo, where do ya find roadkill Carp?

Bob-O -- it's not really too difficult to find them. It is kind of like fishing for monster bass. You just have to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right equipment.

(I hope the photo shows -- I'm having trouble with Photobucket, so I'm trying Google.)

When the time and place are just right, I troll with a grappling hook, on an arm that extends off the back and side of the tractor. I drag it through the ditches in likely areas. The grappling hook can be seen in the upper right of the photo, hanging from the loader bucket. One of the typical grass carp is shown in the bucket.

Good trolling,
Ken
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/21/09 02:08 AM
I need hip waders it's getting deep... HAHA
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/21/09 02:11 AM
I'd figure you for chest waders.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/21/09 02:47 AM
Only if I was visiting you Theo...
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/21/09 03:16 AM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Bruce, she was stocked in May 2003 at 10 or 12 inches.

DAMN!!!!! I know! Don't say something you wouldn't say in front of your Grandma. So.................

DAMN Granny! That things HUGE!!!!!
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/23/09 12:34 PM
BTW Bruce you ever tried GC of that size? I was told abotu 6 years ago they are good so I ate one and cut out blood line as you mention. It was excellent. Next time it was from a giant like Theo's. I swear it tasted just like mud. I have not had the courage to go back and try one since. I think now you have motivated me to clean and eat the next time I kill one of our 12 inch stockers which happens about weekly it seems. My dog is not going to be happy GC are his favorite as well.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/23/09 12:37 PM
I guess I've never eaten one that was over about 12 pounds now that I think about it.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/23/09 12:46 PM
Where is that picture of Young Condello wet-wading and holding up a prize, semi-decomposed carp?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/23/09 03:00 PM
Was it over or under 12 pounds?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/23/09 07:03 PM
Nobody here would admit to catching a fish under 12 pounds.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/23/09 08:36 PM
I don't know, if I caught an 11 pound BG, I'd gladly admit to that... I'd sure need proof of it though!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pellet Fishing Tactics - 07/23/09 08:37 PM
If you catch an eleven-pound bluegill, you are allowed to round up to twelve.
© Pond Boss Forum