Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Having problems with burrowing mice - 02/16/09 02:57 PM
I'll get a picture of one in the future but has anyone had a problem with burrowing mice around their ponds? I've got some damage in my dike from these rascals and they can burrow quite deep. They make a hole straight down about 3 inches in diameter.

They are smaller than muskrats and can swim and dive quite well when spooked although I don't believe they are primarily aquatic. My previous dog was quite good at waiting for them to swim back to shore and snap them up after she spooked them along the bank.

Posted By: JoeG Re: Having problems with burrowing mice - 02/17/09 12:50 AM
I'd like to see some pictures of the damage rather than the critter, but I haven't heard or seen any mice that burrow straight down in frozen ground. Are you sure you don't have moles or shrews?? I can't imagine a mouse burrowing, they usually use other critters holes for thier own purposes, some even have the crust to try and use my garage...imagine that?
Posted By: brodo Re: Having problems with burrowing mice - 02/17/09 01:23 AM
no mice but muskrat wars break out every few years
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Having problems with burrowing mice - 02/17/09 04:51 AM
I am not familiar with any species of mouse with the behavior you mention... I'd love more info though.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Having problems with burrowing mice - 02/17/09 04:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: JoeG
I'd like to see some pictures of the damage rather than the critter, but I haven't heard or seen any mice that burrow straight down in frozen ground. Are you sure you don't have moles or shrews?? I can't imagine a mouse burrowing, they usually use other critters holes for thier own purposes, some even have the crust to try and use my garage...imagine that?

Well I doubt they burrow through frozen ground too but I'm talking about most of the year and we did have a thaw recently. I'll have to get a pic when I can.
Posted By: bobad Re: Having problems with burrowing mice - 02/17/09 04:53 PM
Cecil,

The large burrows and diving in the water to escape remind me of Norway rats. They're omnivores, and like to snack on dead fish, insects, animals, or any garbage'. If they're really big (not muskrat big, but almost a pound sometimes)and have darker fur than standard mice or rats, it's probably rattus norvegicus (sp?).
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Having problems with burrowing mice - 02/17/09 09:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: bobad
Cecil,

The large burrows and diving in the water to escape remind me of Norway rats. They're omnivores, and like to snack on dead fish, insects, animals, or any garbage'. If they're really big (not muskrat big, but almost a pound sometimes)and have darker fur than standard mice or rats, it's probably rattus norvegicus (sp?).

Thanks bobad. They are nowhere near the size of muskrats and they are gray in color. I'll have to get a pic. They also like to nest under the boat when it's up on dry ground, and in any plastic culvert pipe if it's left on the ground.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Having problems with burrowing mice - 02/18/09 05:42 AM
A picture would help in identification...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Having problems with burrowing mice - 02/18/09 04:59 PM
I'm trying. My old dog was adept at catching them although she was at least 100 lbs. The new one is really interested but not very experienced yet. The wife and I took her for a walk at the local school grounds and she came face to face with one. She didn't know what to do and was afraid of chumping down on it.
© Pond Boss Forum