Pond Boss
Posted By: Keith Price I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 01:38 AM
I am not an active contributor on this forum but more of an active reader. I have learned more about ponds from reading all of your posts than I could ever have imagined.

Now to the reason of the post.

In 2005 my wife and I purchased 5 acres with a small shallow pond. The property was beautiful and the pond was more of a water hole. It had the typical bullhead/green sunfish infestation but we would spend our evenings feeding them and eventually getting them to eat out of our hands.

We decided that it would be great to make the pond larger and somewhat deeper. In August of last year we hired a contractor and he made it what it is today. A little over a half acre and 8 feet deep. Two small islands with cypress trees on them and poles set for a dock.

Pond was full by December and a call was made to Dunn's fish farm for delivery. 500 bream of different variety, 100 channel catfish, and 6lbs of fatheads were stocked on December 21st. Not seeing very much action while feeding, I asked the experts on this forum for advice. I was assured that the fish were fine and when the water warmed, the fish will show themselves. The last month, this held true and we were once again spending our evenings watching our fish feed in an environment that we created.

Funny how things happen. There is this one particular house that my wife absolutely adores about 1/2 mile away from ours. I am coming home one day and see a for sale sign sitting in the front yard. I tell my wife and the next day she wanted to go look. Well, looking quickly turned into signing a purchase agreement with a visit to the bank the following morning. It is a beautiful home on 2 acres of manicured lawn. Enough room for a small pond but I just don't see myself messing with something so perfect. A couple from Mississippi signed a purchase agreement on our place and they seem to love it just as much as us. As long as all their paperwork is in order, they will be the new owners in a few weeks.

I will miss my pond but I am excited about the new house. My wife loves it and hopefully my 11 month old daughter will be proud of where she lives. There is some acreage for sale a few miles down the road. If it stays on the market long enough, I may try and purchase. Live at our new home and start a new project.

A few days ago, I sat out next to my pond with an ultralight rod and small hook. I caught two of my catfish and they have doubled in size. It was way too soon to start fishing but I had to try. I smiled, life is good, and we are happy.

So, for now, I am no longer a pondmeister. Buuuttttttt, there is potential.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 01:59 AM
Go enjoy your life and family Keith. Don't be a stranger.
Posted By: Sunil Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 02:00 AM
Wow Keith! You've given a lot of nice input to the forum in the past. You are going to stay and chat with us, right?

But let's get a consensus here.....

Once a Pond Boss, always a Pond Boss?
Posted By: Keith Price Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 02:02 AM
I'll still be around. I'll have another pond one day.
Posted By: ewest Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 02:59 AM
Just think that you can start from scratch with a blank page and do it the way you want. Start planning now and never stop learning. Lets be clear - you don't have to have a pond to be a part of this group and to contribute and learn. \:\)
Posted By: Brettski Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 03:09 AM
Keith,
Send me 2 nice pics of your pond. I want to immortalize it.
Posted By: bobad Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 01:23 PM
Ga-jeeze Keith, I don't know whether to be happy or sad for you. I guess it's OK to be both.

Congratulations on making such a big decision. You won't likely regret going after what you want. Many people are paralyzed by such decisions, and have a life full of nagging regrets.

I think pond water gets in your blood, so I bet we'll be seeing you back here sooner than you think! \:D
Posted By: GW Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 01:47 PM
Keith you might enjoy keeping a large aquarium with game fish. You can get a lot of pleasure and knowledge by observing your favorite pond fish that way.

Good luck with your new place.
Posted By: n8ly Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 05:03 PM
Or you could get a big tank for your basement and raise fish down there... My wife wouldnt let me last winter.
Posted By: Keith Price Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 09:20 PM

Posted By: Sunil Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 10:41 PM
I've always loved that standing timber to the right of center.
Posted By: Russ Re: I guess all good things must end. - 05/23/08 11:01 PM
Good luck with your new spread Keith! I agree with Sunil, once a Pond Boss always a Pond Boss. I'm sure the new owners will have lots of questions about the pond and they'll look upon you first for answers.

New place is 1/2 mile down the road.....how far can you cast?

Russ
© Pond Boss Forum