Pond Boss
Posted By: Broncojack Pond Dye application - 05/21/16 10:49 PM
I have been using pond dye this year to try and control alge and weeds. My problem is applying the product without making a giant mess.
I drilled a small hole in the lid and tried skwirting it out but it leaked and created a mess in the white fiberglass boat.
So what are you guys using to apply the dye ?
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Pond Dye application - 05/21/16 11:57 PM
I put the amount I am going to use into another jug and pour it into the water along the edge in a line along the upwind side.
Posted By: poppy65 Re: Pond Dye application - 05/22/16 01:41 AM
Yep, wind direction helps. Doesn't seem to matter where I pour it in, the whole pond is blue the next day though.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Dye application - 05/22/16 01:52 AM
Unscrew the lid, pour the container in the pond, triple rinse and screw the lid back on. Be VERY careful of any splashing or drips, you will look like a Smurf.
Posted By: L's Pond Re: Pond Dye application - 05/22/16 02:31 AM
How long does one application of dye last? I've got areas that are only 2 or 3 ft deep when the water is low, would dye prevent weeds and FA from growing in that shallow water?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pond Dye application - 05/22/16 11:10 AM
L's Pond, pond dye has seemed to cut down growth of submerged plants like coontail, but really hasn't stopped emergent plants like primrose and water leaf. They grow in the shallowest water, so dye really hasn't helped much for those plants.
Posted By: john kelsey Re: Pond Dye application - 05/22/16 11:21 AM
I use a super soaker for dye and algae killer. You can put it where you want it.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Dye application - 05/22/16 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: L's Pond
How long does one application of dye last? I've got areas that are only 2 or 3 ft deep when the water is low, would dye prevent weeds and FA from growing in that shallow water?

I think every little bit of sunlight blocked helps. How long it lasts all depends on the concentration of the dye that you put in, how much you used, and how much it gets diluted by rainfall or runoff.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Pond Dye application - 05/22/16 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: john kelsey
I use a super soaker for dye and algae killer. You can put it where you want it.

Oh god do you know how blue I would be if I did that? I would hate to mix up the wrong water gun.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Dye application - 05/22/16 04:29 PM
I just walk the shoreline and sling some out in a cup. It will disperse on its own.
Posted By: Coho Eddie Re: Pond Dye application - 05/25/16 02:21 AM
Liquid dye sucks but I have to use it. We are slowly switching to water soluble dry dye packs. A little more expensive but worth it. Less clean up!
Posted By: john kelsey Re: Pond Dye application - 05/25/16 08:45 AM
I used the super soaker yesterday minimum mess. Rubber gloves. I put the dye right were I wanted it.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Pond Dye application - 05/25/16 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: L's Pond

I can tell you this. I use 1 gallon of AQ shade in my pond as it treats right at 1 acre 4 foot deep if I remember right. Anyway after the first treatment, if I want to the directions say to put a 12 oz can of dye in each month after that to help maintain.... AQ is a bit pricey but it does work... I just dump it in my air bubbles and let it do its thing. By next morning the entire pond is covered.

RC
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Pond Dye application - 05/25/16 12:03 PM
Same here I use a different product that is much easier for us Canadians to get with shipping an duty. I put in one liter/pint the first of April in our one acre and the pond is still in good shape.

I am letting it run right now because the perch fry should be looking for a good bloom or plankton.

Same as above I dump from the bottle on the edge of the pond with the wind at my back in a few spots the aerator has the whole pond even by morning.

Cheers Don.
© Pond Boss Forum