Pond Boss
Posted By: DavidB What chemicals to use to control cattails? - 06/08/15 03:35 AM
Would this be effective and safe for my fish in my 2.5 acre pond? Cattails are cover two of our small islands and extending from our shoreline out 5' or more closing off our fishing areas and has eliminated our shore fishing.

I was told by a local guy this is what we should use:

In 100 gallons of water first add 1 qt. Choice Weathermaster (he said it's a PH adjuster)

Then add:

2 gallons of Round Up
1 qt. Banvel (clarity)
10 gallons of Kerosene

Spray plants to wet.

Would this hurt our fish?

Thanks!!
Good Gracious Man! The herbicide experts will be along shortly but until they are...PLEASE don't put that concoction anywhere near water!!!!
Originally Posted By: DavidB
Would this be effective and safe for my fish in my 2.5 acre pond? Cattails are cover two of our small islands and extending from our shoreline out 5' or more closing off our fishing areas and has eliminated our shore fishing.

I was told by a local guy this is what we should use:

In 100 gallons of water first add 1 qt. Choice Weathermaster (he said it's a PH adjuster)

Then add:

2 gallons of Round Up
1 qt. Banvel (clarity)
10 gallons of Kerosene

Spray plants to wet.

Would this hurt our fish?

Thanks!!

Well, as to the question of whether it would hurt the fish or not, nobody knows, not even DuPont or Monsanto. Neither Round-up™ nor Banavel has been tested to use on ponds. If you read the label of Banavel it specifically says "Do not apply to any body of water. Avoid drifting of spray onto any body of water or other nontarget
areas. Specified buffer zones should be observed."

Read this link:
TAMU Cattails That should give you enough options so that you can find which of those chemicals the State of California will allow you to use.
Posted By: RAH Re: What chemicals to use to control cattails? - 06/08/15 02:22 PM
RoundUp has been tested and is damaging to aquatic creatures due to its surfactants, not the glyphosate.
Thanks!
Speaking from expierence Rodeo or an appoved equivalent with the right surfactant is quite effective on cattails. Manual removal works if you can get all of the roots, cattails are a tuber so a backhoe would be your best choice for manual removal, otherwise it is very labor intensive.
We had a problem with watershield as well as cattails and beat it back with this ..will warn you it took several attacks with the water shield but the cattails lost the first round ,,

https://www.lakerestoration.com/p-65-open-water-kit.aspx
DavidB: it's hard to believe that suggestion occurred in CA. It's so far off-label that it isn't funny.

For cattails, stick with an aquatic-labeled glyphosate or imazapyr herbicide (both require a separate surfactant intended for aquatic sites). Plant coverage is important.
© Pond Boss Forum