Pond Boss
Posted By: buzbait Chara. - 07/29/10 04:44 PM
Ok guys, I need some help. My pond is about 2.5 acres and has about 2/3 covered in Chara. I have sprayed 25 pounds of copper sulfate over 1/3 of the pond at a time. Plus I tried a product from the Farmers Co-op that is like round up. It has killed the Cattails & pond weed, but very little of the Chara. I am thinking of dying the pond, but with the Chara coming to the top( water level has dropped about 11 inches due to heat), would that help? It is really a problem this year only of the 3 years since it was built.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Chara. - 07/29/10 05:09 PM
Hey Buz what's up! Man I got a ton of it too. My GC can't even keep up with that dang Chara!! Stuff sucks!! I have not read anywhere where the chara will come to the surface of the pond? Mine is like 15 or so inches under the water. Let me know what you do if you ever figure how to kill that junk.
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: Chara. - 07/29/10 10:23 PM
I have had it real bad and continue to have it.

It will come to the surface of the pond and create large floating mats. If it rains that will keep it down.

Floating mats I will pull out.

Stirring up the the silt will knock it back a good ways and constant stirring it up will clear the area. I just go out in the water after working to cool off and just kick up the silt.

Chelated copper will control it pretty well but does get costly.

Let me know if this helps.
Posted By: Habitatpro Re: Chara. - 08/17/10 07:26 PM
Ive been there, done that.

By trade I have been in the herbicide business over 30 years. I was totally convinced answers to all things are found coming out f a spray boom....Ohhhbaby...till I had pond weeds I had no idea.

Chara was terrible in my pond and I tried chemical applications early, late, on time, by the label, above label, and all around label. Net result for me was : Tired, poorer, and chara seemed to see this as grand sport.

GC have cleaned me up and now Im slowly reducing the CG population so some weeds return. My pond is 3.5 acres fyi
Posted By: Bayoublaster Re: Chara. - 08/18/10 08:35 PM
Hello Buz,

Try 25 pounds of copper with hydrothol 191 . I have had success with this mix.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Chara. - 08/18/10 08:45 PM
You guys got a pic of the Chara?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Chara. - 08/18/10 10:16 PM
Chara floating to the surface? I've not seen this with my ponds. For those who say it floats to the surface are you 100 percent sure it's Chara?
Posted By: Cisco Re: Chara. - 08/19/10 12:56 AM
Here's where I posted some pictures of what I have growing. I'm told it;\'s chara but mine isn't covering all of my pond yet. I've been told it's not a big problem but we haven't been swimming in my pond yet. Does it become a major problem?

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...9841#Post229841
© Pond Boss Forum