Pond Boss
Posted By: wazzle Grass carp - 06/10/09 01:59 PM
Ok, I am just about to make the phone call to get my permit to stock grass carp and wanted to get any feedback on this endeavor. My pond is about .19 acre and is getting taken over by duckweed. I have been doing a lot of reading about mechanical and chemical removal but like the idea of letting fish take care of it. I discussed the tilapia issue but the legality and the short life span of those due to winter kill is the issue.

The reading I have been doing suggest anywhere from 3-5 grass carp for my pond size. The guy that is selling me the fish says 20 which I feel is overkill. I am thinking more in line with 5-7 total knowing that duckweed isn't a favorite food for grass carp.

Any input from the group is appreciated. The only negative to these fish(from what I see) is the thorough job they may do to the plant life in the pond.

Thanks
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Grass carp - 06/10/09 04:13 PM
Do you have any other vegetation in your pond? SAV or otherwise? I think in all likelihood you'll be disappointed with the results you'll get from the grass carp on your duck weed problem... The prickly rope method would seem to me to be the best solution. It is manual work, but not overly strenuous. If you do go the carp route, 20 is WAY too high! 5 max would be my recommendation...
Posted By: wazzle Re: Grass carp - 06/10/09 11:31 PM
I am new to this so not sure what SAV is. While using the prickly rope method may work, I would prefer not to have the duckweed even appear and that is what I am hoping for with the grass carp. I realize that this year, it won't go away completely, but by next spring, maybe these fish can take care of the situation.

Any other comments out there? I am open to more input.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Grass carp - 06/11/09 12:16 AM
SAV=submerged aquatic vegetation

Duck weed isn't high on the grass carp's diet preference. You may not see much in the way of results. Maybe others have a different opinion though.
Posted By: wazzle Re: Grass carp - 06/11/09 01:22 AM
That is where the the guy at the fish hatchery was coming from when he suggested 20 grass carp. He had a 1/2 acre that had a lot of duckweed and he put 10 grass carp in. It sounds like he was expecting almost instant results and when he didn't see it, he added another 10. The duckweed disappeared. My problem with his suggestion is that now he has 20 grass carp in a 1/2 acre pond that he will have trouble removing and there probably isn't enough plant life left in the pond. That is why I plan on trying only 5.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Grass carp - 06/11/09 02:08 AM
Maybe try tilapia and keep it on the down low? If they die who cares, better than having several grass carp muddying your pond up as they root for food that they have eaten themselves out of house and home...
Posted By: wazzle Re: Grass carp - 06/11/09 02:24 AM
Yes, I have lined some up if I decide to try that in my "aquarium. The idea that they go away on their own in the late fall definitely has advantages.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Grass carp - 06/11/09 10:18 AM
I think I would use the prickly rope and then add tilapia for maintenance. Grass carp don't add a lot of help for duckweed. They prefer leafy plants like pondweed.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Grass carp - 06/15/09 11:05 PM
My last experience with grass carp was they preferred the fish fish pellets over the Chara and Potomogeton pusilus! No more grass carp for me!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Grass carp - 06/16/09 12:59 AM
Little grass carp turn into real big grass carp. And, as Cecil says, they like pellets a lot better than weeds. I wouldn't put them in again. This one came out of my pond several years ago.

We have a 44 acre lake fairly close by that is covered with weeds, and that the DNR estimates it has 1200 very large grass carp that they can't get rid of. Here is a little bit about the lake:

Quote:
From the Charleston Gazzette, June 27, 2008. While carp are one of sport fishing's least sought-after species, they can grow to monstrous proportions. The state record grass carp, caught in Hardy County's Warden Lake in 2005, weighed nearly 72 pounds and was nearly 51 inches long.

Good luck,
Ken
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Grass carp - 06/16/09 02:09 AM
I think the problem with them eating pellets is I've had at least one fish supplier admit to me they feed them pellets while holding them.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Grass carp - 06/16/09 02:55 AM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I think the problem with them eating pellets is I've had at least one fish supplier admit to me they feed them pellets while holding them.

Pellet trained grass carp... Not a good thing! Pellet trained LMB and RES... Is a good thing!
Posted By: 2trackin Re: Grass carp - 06/16/09 02:53 PM
Can I use tilapia in southern michigan? Is there a place I can buy them? I've been using a prickly rope last year and this year but dang that's getting old!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Grass carp - 06/16/09 09:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: 2trackin
Can I use tilapia in southern michigan? Is there a place I can buy them? I've been using a prickly rope last year and this year but dang that's getting old!

Knowing Michigan I would bet anything the answer is resounding, "NO!" They don't don't allow hybrid striped bass and grass carp.

Contact your Michigan DNR:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10773-24871--,00.html

I believe they have a list of approved species. If it's not on their it's a no no.

Can you let us know once you find out?
Posted By: Phatboy Re: Grass carp - 06/29/09 07:21 PM
I have only 1 that I know of and its between 15-20 lbs, it keeps my 1/4 acre clean of all vegitation and keeps it quite muddy as well.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Grass carp - 06/30/09 11:51 AM
Ok, first as mentieond I have NEVER seen grass carp control duckweed. In fact research had densities at 100/acre and still had watermeal, so it will not rid of it. Second not sure where the sentiment coems about GC causing muddy water. Again we stock them high for golf course clients and do not have muddy water. I have never seen them be the cause of muddy ponds, especailly one in a 1/4 acre pond. I think the muddy conditions caused from something else. Yes Cecil is 100% correct they are raised on fish pellets. Article in wildlife publicaiton last month on targeting the GC for fisherman.

I like the idea of adding 5 though to help with other SAV as CJ calls it. For duckweed since only 0.19 acre not just use whitecap? Even if 10 foot deep average it would only take two 8 ounce containers, $300.
Posted By: 2trackin Re: Grass carp - 07/01/09 04:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Originally Posted By: 2trackin

Knowing Michigan I would bet anything the answer is resounding, "NO!" They don't don't allow hybrid striped bass and grass carp.

Contact your Michigan DNR:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10773-24871--,00.html

I believe they have a list of approved species. If it's not on their it's a no no.

Can you let us know once you find out?

I just found out Tilapia are legal in Michigan!
© Pond Boss Forum