Pond Boss
Posted By: CatahoulaB Help With Spring StartUp - 11/21/06 10:00 AM
Sorry I can't find the Spring Start Up Schedule for aeration. Can someone give me a link, or the post on the forum?

Thanks,
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Help With Spring StartUp - 11/21/06 01:45 PM
Here's one:

When to Start
Posted By: CatahoulaB Re: Help With Spring StartUp - 11/21/06 02:11 PM
Thanks,
I read all those. I'm not looking for the time of year. More the time to run it and how many times a day when I do restart it.
Thanks,
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: Help With Spring StartUp - 11/21/06 03:40 PM
Cat, heres the standard " 15 minutes to start and double the run time everyday and you will be 24/7 on day 8," Perhaps the pros will chime in \:\)
Posted By: Cary Martin Re: Help With Spring StartUp - 11/21/06 04:32 PM
Ted,

You are a pro. That is what we recommend unless it is a brand new pond with out any fish to kill. Then just simply turn it on.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Help With Spring StartUp - 11/22/06 02:04 AM
Cat - Here is my opinion. There is no simple answer to your question, that is why you could not find a concise answer by searching the old posts. IMO it primarily depends on 1. the size, shape and often the depth of your pond, 2. the size and number of diffusers, 3. the cfm of your compressor. Thus, most just to be on the safe side, run the system 24/7 as Ted and Cary suggest. I think 24/7 applies especially to larger water bodies (those larger than 1 acre).

I will not discuss all options here. Basically it depends on how quickly your aeration system can produce one complete pond turnover. If you can't cause a complete turnover twice a day then you might as well run the system 24/7. If you have a system that is oversized and can produce a complete turnover in 4-6 hrs or less, then I think my tests have shown in ponds less than 1 acre that 6 to 12 hrs of operation per day is adequate to maintain good dissolved oxygen over the entire pond bottom. Dissolved oxygen tests at the pond bottom or dye studies are required to accurately measure turn over times.
© Pond Boss Forum