Pond Boss
Posted By: kurt wind powered pumps for well - 08/16/09 06:27 PM
Great reading. I have gone through a number of the topics just to glean as much info before starting. I noticed that there were a number of people using their wells to top off or maintain the ponds in drier times. There was a lot of discussion on pumps, amps, wattages, distances and costs etc... I have heard and seen one person in my area use a windmill to pump up water for his pond. The land has a strong watershed so the pump would only be needed for the summer times if the water level would drop.

Pond is not built I am just in the early planning stages so this is hypothetical but wonering if anyone was using a windmill.

thanks
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: wind powered pumps for well - 08/16/09 11:33 PM
Kurt,

I looked into it but for my needs I need 45 gpm 24/7 6 to 7 months of the year for my trout pond. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but I didn't seem to find anything that large of capacity and of course wind does not blow 24/7. Perhaps some kind of system that uses electrical as a back up if a wind pump is feasible.

Sorry more questions than answers.
Posted By: omegaman66 Re: wind powered pumps for well - 08/17/09 05:39 AM
Is electricity available? You could use that and always be assured of water and use wind turbines or solar power to generate the electricity. Some place have net metering which means the meter runs backwards if you generate more than you use. This would allow solar to pay for the electricity even at night.
© Pond Boss Forum