Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Maybe I should use my larger males and cross with female Condello gills? Or if there are enough fish in the pond it's not something to be concerned about. Most literature I have seen says 30 to 50 pairs per acre and since the breeding pond is only 1/10 acre that does not allow a lot of breeding pairs.

Thoughts?

I was reading your post.

Thanks for the link. I read it and they were referring to stocking brood stock in raising bluegill. That makes sense.

Okay that link brought up a another question that has been floating around with about a million others. They talk about feeding the new fry supplement crumble feed. I have seen where Purina sells a powdered food for fry.

Has anyone put out fry food around areas of cover where fry congregate? I know FH's and other small critters will get some too, but since it seems that how large a bluegill eventually gets has a lot to do with how much it grows the first year has anyone tried to feed fry in a regular pond setting?

Like I said I dont feel like I know anything or just enough to be dangerous. But inquiring (ADD) minds want to know.

Last edited by Bill Webb; 10/18/07 11:31 AM.

I wish I had the tenacity of GSF!