Okay, now that I see what you goal is, I am not sure that your plan is going to be cost effective or practical. But if it is just a hobby then it will serve yor purpose. Doing your plan is going to take a fair amount of time and effort and several hundred dollars at least, to produce any significient quantities of small fish (BG, gams or FHM) indoors. In the end it will be CHEAPER IN TIME AND MONEY to just buy small BG or FHM and feed them to your fish. Been there done that. Bruce and Theo can testify to the amount of time it takes to mess with RAS fish. Plus when you have gone to all the time and expense to raise a "big" lot of fish in RAS and as the biomass gets large and it is near release (stocking) point, one power outage for 5-10 minutes can kill all your fish due to the high biomass and oxygen demand of the system especially one that is of the RAS type that has been overloaded due to the fish being larger sized than hatchlings. All can be lost it 10-20 minutes without emergency electricity backup.

For added bass, CC or sprotfish production, why don't you either raise the BG in your pond or just feed (or train) your fish pellets? OR just build a second small 0.10 ac pond for just raising BG or FHM for live food. In the end that will be much easier, more productive (more small fish produced) and long term cheaper than a RAS system. I have been down all these roads before.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/08/07 04:56 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management