Good points, JHAP. I never go to my land without my firearm(s). I have a permit to carry.

Sometimes I wondered if I would just shoot a round into the air for effect if I saw a poacher, but then I thought I would be exposing myself to all kinds of potential problems even though I'm allowed to shoot on my own property.

A lot of our trespassers come in on quads. I have many times thought about disabling someone's quad by chaining it to a tree, knifing the tires, or pouring anti-freeze in the gas tank. I do feel I'm justified to do that. However, one thing we don't want to create is lifelong enemies or some kind of tit-for-tat feud.

While I'm not against it, if you have to pull a gun, things have gotten way out of control.

At the end of the day, a poacher or enemy can do far more damage to my pond and land than I can do to his, especially because I'm an absentee land owner. Again, I also have too much to lose.

I could sue a trespasser in civil court, but it might be like trying to squeeze blood from a stone. I could be sued, and a money-hungry lawyer (no offense to the good ones) might be drooling, and even though I have insurance, I would have to pay to defend myself in court.

Last edited by Sunil; 09/08/07 10:02 AM.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."