While building my dam, I went to the Soil and Conservation office and was given a booklet about dam building to create habitat.

The dams in that book are making of logs and rock. The dam I built is made of concrete and rock. I want mine dam to last longer than I do.

But, both the soil and conservation booklet and the dam I built have the water flowing over the top of the dams.

Now I've gotten literature from the local Extension office. That literature has water flowing through pipes and taking water from below the surface. They say that most of the nutrients in the water are within two feet of the surface and so if having fish is the goal, water should come from below the surface when released through the dam.

Well, my creek is shallow and I only have over two feet of water in a few places. I think having the water go over the dam is my only option.

Do any of you have dams along a shallow creek, have dams with water flowing over the top, and also have an active fish population?

I want to build from four to six more dams and I want to do this right if possible.

Tahuaya