What great videao. Here's some trivia about what we're seeing.

Tits are the European counterparts to what we call Chickadees. Of course, the names "Blue Tits" and "Great Tits" inspire many visions by most Americans.

As you look at the baby, you'll notice a mouth ring that helps the parents see where to put the food. In these chicks, it is a light cream color. There are so many variations in these mouth markings that many species can be identified just by their mouth markings. Not only are there differences in the shapes and sizes in mouth markings but also in color. Some species have bright blue spots around their mouths!

This baby is begging with its head straight up like our American Robin does. A group of birds called Estrilid finches have babies that beg with their heads turned sideways. They get the job done but it's amusing to watch.

It can take much longer for an egg to hatch than I would have thought. I used to think that the egg just cracked and the baby popped out. But I've seen many small babies like this take 2-3 hours to get out of their shell. Sometimes the parents help and sometimes they don't.

It really is a fun process to watch. I wish every kid could see it.

Norm Kopecky