Raising European Night crawlers or Red wigglers is easy.

What you need.

A worm bin, either bought or a wooden box or plastic bin with a top but not air tight.

Bedding, Peat moss works fine. Add the moisened peatmoss to your bin and let it set a day or two.

Obtain your worms from mail order. I like the European night crawlers verses the red wiggler. The Euro worm is bigger, hardyer and a tougher hide. Perfect for bait and reproduce like crazy, there unisex. They tolarate a wide temp range below 90 and above freezing is good. Note, Canadian Night crawlers dont work.

When you add your worms keep a light on the first few nights.

Food, They eat all kinds of scraps. Bannana peals, used coffee grinds, fruits, macaroni, card board, leafy greens, vegtables, apple peals, pretty much anything. Bury the scaps in one corner of the bin and cover it. add more food in a week on a differnt corner.

Your worms should lay eggs withing a fews weeks and you should see babys within no time. You can cull out the big ones and use them for bait or for fish food etc.

After your bedding looks like dark rich soil (castings) you can change out half of it with new peat and the rest is great soil to grow plants etc.

I added a picture of a few differnt stages of the European Night crawlers. I added a penny so you can see the size. There is one adult, a few adolescent and 2 babys.

Here is a link to Bobs worm farm. http://mypeoplepc.com/members/arbra/trinity/ I layed out the basics but if your gonna do it, call Bob and get yourself some European night crawlers there not expensive. Tell him Joey from NC sent you...!

Joey