Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cody:
George,
Regarding the two fish in your July 4th 7:52pm post - Top or 1st one is a male CNBG. I find it interesting that on the male CNBG that the dark scale tipping extends down onto the gill cover.
And 2nd one (7:52pm) appears to me to be a female regular? BG or female CNBG; if that is a male fish I am fooled. On the female note the lack of dark tipped nape scales, lack of a square opercle flap (unless the lower margin is folded), and a swollen belly probably full of eggs. The urogenital pore in the photo appears to me to be swollen or enlarged - also a feature of a female BG in spawning condition. Both are real dandy fish. The female BG is a close "mate" to the 3rd BG -a male faded "Todd" CNBG BG- in the July 4th 8:45pm post; note its wide squarish opercle flap. The dark tipped nape scales are present but not real pronounced. This male also does not have the pronounced regular dark male colors. When was he caught? Recent or previous? His colors are not a lot different than the big female in upper 7:52pm photo. Is the water a little murky (not clear) in the pond where they live? I think you may have some fish with "diluted" CNBG genetics.

You grow some mighty fine bluegills. It has to be great fun catching those on a fly rod.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)