Good advice from these guys Joe. The initial slap in the face wake up call is brutal, but by no means a reason to quit hoping. If I had to "suffice", I would go small and specialized, practicing for the day the dream gets put back on the drawing board.
Check out this place for liners.
http://www.watergardencreations.com/main/products.asp?catid=1
Right now, they are selling 45mil (Firestone) liner for 33.5 cents per sq/ft, free delivery.
Pride yourself in the strength and wisdom you guys exercised in not only educating yourselves, but making a wise ( though very tough) deccision.
Try this: Tell about 6 realators that you "might" be interested in selling and buying something else IF they could find you a property with a pond already in place. That's kind of how we got ours.
In the end, do as Winston Churchill said: Never, Never, Never Give Up... He also said "Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.” Stay focussed and keep the dream on the front burner. I waited many, many years for a pond, and all the patience paid off in ways I could never have planned it. My Psalm 37:4 came true. And stay with the forum. Us PB'ers have to hang together ya know... ;\)