Nice woodland castle, Victor...very nice, indeed.
I have Andersen low-E windows throughout our principal residence. They are alum-clad exterior and stained/polyurethane pine interior. The home is a modular cape cod, so it's real "tight". Donna-ski and I converted the upstairs to living space, so I did my standard over-engineer job on pretty much everything....including the insulation and vapor barrier. We installed the vapor barrier between the heated living space and the insulation so tight that it's like a submarine. The entire area is extremely energy efficient, but it has a drawback. Now, any humidity during extreme cold vaporizes on the windows as sweat. The sweat eventually gets into the stiles and rails of sash frame and compromise my perfect finish; likely the integrity to a degree, also. My point: next crib may very likely be windows constructed from plastic. In fact, I seem to remember seeing a TOH episode where they went to a name brand window factory for a TV tour. I remember a plastic window that is now manufactured to faux wood finishes....this makes real good sense to me. The additional expense could easily be worth it. We had a 72" Andersen sliding patio door, same compostion. It was unacceptably drafty. The factory gave me credit to buy up to the hinged french door units. Absolutely airtight, but the plastic coated exterior failed in a few places after about 4 years, so a new n/c set is setting in the basement, waitin' for me to find the time.
I must have a maintenance-free exterior on a pond house, or at least a very large portion of it. That, and yes, we have plenty of WP's. I foresee 1/2" OSB sheathing + caulk at the seams (modular home trick) + Tyvek. I really think that a custom color vinyl siding will take a priority in design. I even looked at the new vinyl siding that looks like logs, but it's expensive and might look even cheesier after they age. log siding link
We used to be houseboaters on a large lake in central Illinois, Lake Shelbyville. Also set in Amish country. A local Amish family did some pretty intricate canvas work for us. The same thing; they come out and take a bunch of measurements, go home to the gas fired equipment shop, crank it out, and return to install. It fits like a glove...amazing quality and craftsmanship.
Metal roof is gonna be a must. I learned with the last weekend crib that we cashed in to move on this new project. Asphalt shingles along a river. The humidity laughs at zinc roof strips.
I'm not sure I understand
 Quote:
avoild any type of Drive-It over wood or masonry. Some woodpeckers love it
please expand.
Thanks for the kudos on our project. You deserve the same rite bakatcha for the restoration job ya did with your crib. Thanks for sharing. Any cool pics of the interior?