Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
Bobad...thanks for the props. Expand a little on the log cabin dream. Post a couple of pics of what you're talkin' about. I don't really know dittle about log cabins except I think that they can be a maintenance headache...?
Brettski,

I hear ya on the maintenance. My dream hasn't advanced to the research phase yet, but from what I've heard, the logs can be bought in various states of preservation. Most are treated with borax or borate salts, which prevents fungus and makes them distasteful to insects. A side benefit is that it adds a little bit of fire retardancy. I understand there are other preservatives that work very well, but aren't usually needed except in extreme conditions. (deep in the shade in a rainy climate)

Cypress and cedar logs need less preservative, pine a little more, and hardwood the most. The logs must be kept from constant dampness. A wide roof overhang is fairly important here in the land of 57" annual rainfall. A nice high foundation or short chain wall can help keep the logs up and away from the humid ground area and insects. Of course keeping overhanging branches away is important. That's all I know for now, but if I ever go into full "research mode", I'll be a log cabin encyclopedia. ;\)