Quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
The major focal point in the planning of my retirement home is accessibility. This comes by way of seeing the limitations/problems that are evident in my parent's home. When confined to a wheelchair or walker, one quickly sees the hurdles that standard hallways/doorways and stairs present. There is a book entitled, "Building for a Lifetime" by Margaret Wylde. I don't have a copy but check ebay on a regular basis. Also check with the ADA for recommendations.Just an opinion.
Russ, I couldn't have said it better. My wife and I are in the process of planning our next (hopefully last) home. A couple of years ago my wife had a knee replaced we are very aware of handicapped accessibility. This means wide hallways and doorways as Russ said. If you think that this may be your retirement home I think that you would be wise to plan for it. Your plan does have the master bedroom and kitchen downstairs this is a plus. I'm not discouraging your plans, like Russ I'm just saying think in terms of 20 years ahead.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)