So far I'm disappointed with the progress of my first attempt to raise Soldier Fly larvae. Everything I've read makes it sound very easy. It's been 6 days since I put out the scraps, I've seen BSF apparently laying eggs every day since, and still no larvae. It's supposed to take a little over 100 hours for eggs to hatch.

I observed what I think are eggs several days ago. Maybe this is where I'm getting confused. Would the eggs increase in size after being laid? When I observed what I thought was laying behavior I couldn't see any, but later I noticed oblong objects which I thought were maggots at first glance, but they don't move.

I put this cabbage in two days ago and more of the eggs(?) appeared. I did see BSF on the cabbage. This spot of possible eggs is almost 1/2 inch wide.

I've seen a lot of these "eggs" in the bucket and also on my garbage can. Other insects including house flies have visited the garbage, but the predominant insects have been the BSF. I should mention that it's been fairly cool the last few nights so maybe this is increasing the time to hatch.