I started researching Black Soldier Fly larvae as an alternative to the traditional rot basket feeders which use dead critters as the larva food. It looks like there is great potential to use BSF larvae as forage for pond fish. The reason I posted this thread here instead of in the Forage and Bait section is that Soldier Flies can do more for people than just feed their fish. Put in a different way, the SF can do more WHILE feeding our fish.

Disclaimer: The web pages and quotes below are from a company that hopes to profit from marketing a Soldier Fly related product.

EDIT: The links below aren't working anymore but you can use this link instead: http://www.esrint.com/pages/bioconversion.html

Black Soldier Fly (I assume everyone knows the underlined words are links)

"In view of the wide variability of putrescent waste presented to it, this benign creature possesses one of the most robust digestive systems within nature. It has the ability to thrive in the presence of salts, alcohols, ammonia and a variety of food toxins. In addition to food waste, it can also process swine, human and poultry waste. Upon reaching maturity, this creature is rigidly regimented by evolution to migrate out of the unit and into a collection bucket without any human or mechanical intervention. This self-harvesting grub represents a bundle of nutrients that rivals in commercial value the finest fish meal. In our effort to dispose of food waste, why waste this valuable resource? Why not boldly insist upon the reintegration into the feed chain of most of the nutrients and energy it contains?"

Texas Experiment

"The moment waste is deposited into the unit, the larvae begin to secrete powerful digestive enzymes into the waste long before it begins to rot and smell. Since thermophilic and anaerobic bacteria play no part in this process, these tiny creatures are able to conserve and recycle most of the nutrients and energy within the waste."

"Studies were conducted at the Coastal Plain Experiment Station in Tifton, Georgia, to examine the suitability of SF prepupae as a feed source for channel catfish and tilapia. The tests concluded that soldier fly larvae should be considered a promising source of animal protein in fish production. Taste tests were also conducted, and the results of these tests indicated that fish fed SF larvae are acceptable to the consumer."

Bio-Conversion Units

"This 2-foot unit has an average feeding surface area of 0.34 m2(3.6 sq ft). At a disposal efficiency of 15 kgs/m2/day, it can handle over 5 kgs (11 lbs) of food waste per day. It can hold or contain over 144 liters (38 gal) of larval residue, and with a reduction in weight and volume of 95%, it must be emptied after receiving a total of 2.89 m3 (3.9 cubic yards) of food waste. This unit serving a family of four people would have to be cleaned out approximately once every 8 years. With this larval bioconversion process, the costly transport of food waste to landfill is completely eliminated."

I see Soldier Flies in my future, with or without ponds.

Last edited by GW; 04/29/10 01:46 PM. Reason: update links