Jerry's pond: This is the smaller of the two proposed ponds which will be on the two acres that I own.

To amend my original post, the branch that will supply this pond isn't "steady". After no rain for over 2 months it has dried up. In normal weather it would run constantly. It was usually just a trickle only a couple inches deep and maybe a foot wide. The watershed for this pond is about 25 acres made up mostly of pasture.

Much of that watershed is on the neighbors land and most of that flows into his 1/10 acre pond before draining onto my land. At this time his pond is about 5 feet below full. I think he has a leak because it was full at the beginning of the year. After the water leaves his pond it flows about 1000 feet before reaching my site.

There is good clay at this site and a 100 foot dam would probably get me close to a 1 acre pond. I believe the average depth won't be much more than 6 feet. I'm wondering if it might not be better to go with something smaller, like 1/2 acre. Would any of you chose a smaller pond over larger?

This site is also wooded, but seems to be a little wetter than Cindy's pond site. There are fewer pines, several large poplars and numerous water tupelo (black gum). I wanted to incorporate some of the water tupelos but I read that they can't tolerate a ph over 6.

I'm wide open to alternative species for this pond. Good eating is desirable (too bad about crappie).

Thinking siphon system here too.

I'll probably put my (tiny) house very close to the pond, maybe with a deck/dock. How 'bout a screened deck with a trap door for fishing? I'm serious....kind of.