Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
You should not have a winter DO problem in your pond if you have some open water created by a water fall. You guys agree ?
Agreed! And if his fish would find they are having oxygen problems it's very likely they would find the inflow for relief. Not only that I concur with somewhat of a safety net in that his pond is new and his fish are small. It's the larger fish that go first. Good proof of this are the ponds in Minnesota that can't support larger predator fish through winter but easily suppport minnow populations that are harvested in the spring.

One important note though: Be aware that you could have some ice anomolies anywhere on the pond due to the inflow. Be careful getting on the ice!

I would also surmise that you ice will come off sooner than other bodies of water with that inflow.
Cecil,

You are correct about the rapid ice melt when the temp exceeds freezing. Early December it went from open water to a 3" ice layer within 3 days. Temperature rose to mid 40's... Open water to the banks in 2.

Your comments reveal the root reason for my initial question about snow removal. I am terrified of getting out on that ice. When I am there, I am by myself without a neighbor in sight. The article about the poor man falling through the ice (God rest his soul)really struck a chord. Based upon the majority of feed back, I am going to assume that I can stay on shore and look forward to the thaw!? Otherwise, what is the minimum thickness recommended that will safely hold the average man.

Thank you all so much for your prompt and expert advice. Blaine Hession (future Lunker)

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.