Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Blaine:
This is my first post and I want to start by saying that Pond Boss general forum has helped me tremendously over the past year while constructing my first pond. It would have been a struggle without you. Thank you 1000 times.

My new pond is approx. 3 surface acres. 15% at 13' with an average of 7' deep. Tile fed currently running at approx 40 gal. per minute. First fingerlings (1500/BG;500/RESF;10 lbs.FHM) were stocked last Sept.

Currently has approx. 4-6" ice. Two weeks ago accumulated 2-3" of snow and 5" more the other day. The temp. today is 5F with at least another five days below freezing. How long can the basic foodchain sustain itself without sunlight before I need to consider snow removal? Hoping for a thaw!
A question first: What do you mean by "Tile fed currently running at approx 40 gal. per minute?" Do you mean there is that much water feeding in --- even this time of year with a connecting tile? How would you know this for sure?
Cecil,

I am blessed with an abundance of incoming water. 40 gal. per minute is somewhat slow for my pond. I estimate this from the incoming creek flow or the spillway exiting. 15" drain pipe currently running at approx 15% capacity. It is common to see this same spill way pipe running at half capacity after steady rain. This pond filled in 3 months over the dog days of summer (mid July thru mid October).

Keep in mind Cecil that I am a newby at this. What I have written above is why I "think" I know this.

ps. I am a new found genius in the eyes of my wife and friends based upon turning this old farm ground into a beautiful resource. Don't let this fellow Hoosier fall from grace.

Theo, Thank you for your input... Dul'ly noted.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.