Welcome, Pam...may I share a thought?
I am in the midst of developing a pondsite and surrounding area as a nature haven. Although our pond projects are considerably different in size and scope, they share similarities in the goals for which we both strive.
When I started my project, the only thing I was concerned for in the pond portion was a nice water feature. I really wasn't looking much further than the end of my nose and was comfortable with the goal. Then I got hooked up here and realized that I had an opportunity to not only achieve my "water feature" desire, but, with a little more time and money, I could take a "7 project" to a "10 project". In football-ese, I could either settle for the field goal, or drive in for the touchdown. I stretched and went for the big score; no regrets to date and I am confident the ROI is well in place.
My point: look at your project from a different angle before you decide. If you are going to bring in a contractor with a small backhoe, maybe you should think a little wider and/or a little deeper . Maybe this improvement can go a couple clicks higher and yield not only a more enjoyable water feature, but add monetary value as a more diverse pond.
Hey you PB fish nutz; how deep would she have to go to create a micro-fishery?