Quote:
Originally posted by george:
Theo, I thought the only purpose for BG was forage until you northern boys lit my BG fire. I don’t know why in the world any one would ever consider HBG when you can raise this quality fish so easy. \:D
George, I really think HBG have a proper place, I'm just not entirely sure where it is. If I had multiple ponds (like, say, ML) I'd put HBG in one and try to do a HBG pond the way I think it should be done (like, say, ML). But I can't see trying to have HBG in a pond with breeding Lepomis, for a number of reasons (worry about gene pools included, but chiefly the fact that I haven't seen a HBG in my pond for over two years - the numbers of breeding BG simply overwhelm HBG as a part of the fishing experience). And my second pond is going to be primarily for RES breeding and male BG growing, so having HBG in it is out, too.

I keep trying to talk new PMs with small ponds into running a proper HBG pond, and they keep getting talked out of it. I can't complain until I offer up my own water to do it, either. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]