Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cody:
Theo - please explain where the saturation or soaking of the soils stops. If the soil forming the basin is at all uniform why wouldn't the soaking process continue until the seepage finds a path of least resistance? Where does the seepage stop especially if the seepage finds or encounters loose, gravelly or sandy soils? I can see this soaking-saturation process occurring if the clay basin is overlain with some loose soils, BUT why use some loose soils in the first place to form a pond basin that is supposed to hold water? If you are gong to make a pond or bowl that holds water why put dirt in it that will soak up water? Why not line the entire bowl with as impervious soil as possible?
Here are my main operating assumptions:

1) All soils, including the best clay packed in the best manner, will pass water through them. The rate that it passes through varies greatly depending on soil type:
Sand/gravel: don't blink, you'll miss the water going through.
Topsoil: you can blink, but don't bother holding your breath.
Good clay: Passes very little water; a miniscule or negligable amount.

2) When we finish a pond's construction, the soil in the dam and bowl are not saturated with water (or they'd be too wet to work in).

If I'm wrong on those assumptions, please stop reading and correct me.

Now, my thoughts:

Water NEVER stops soaking through a pond's dam and basin. The water will soak in slightly faster at first, until the soil below the water line becomes saturated, then seep through at a slower rate and pass into whatever aquifer lies under the pond.

If the pond is of good clay and is constructed as well as possible, we may never notice either of these losses, and probably won't ever have to worry about them if we do. With less desirable soils and/or construction, we are more likely to notice the loss and, unfortunately, have to worry about it. In some ponds, we easily notice and worry about the initial soaking-in loss, then when it slows down after saturation occurs all is well enough. This last situation is what I am thinking of when we talk about a pond "sealing" itself.

All ponds should be constructed perfectly with perfect clay, but realistically, it's not going to happen 100% of the time. Some locations won't allow it, some budgets can't afford it, and some "construction sequences will be less than optimum", to euphemistically avoid discussing shoddy practices.

In the case where a pond bottom has areas of different water permeability, I think water will pass through the entire bottom at differents rates in the different areas.

Does any of that make sense?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]