Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Survey the pond and if your assessment proves correct then take out LMB in the 8-13in range, then and add 3-5in BG when it gets cooler. In the spring consider TShad and or GShiners. Don't take out any more adult BG for now. You need to think about forage in the 3+ in range not FH size. Here is some info on surveying pond populations.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1952.html
Thanks for the assessments. I probably should have made myself more clear on the BG issue because in reality when I talk about large BG I'm lumping in a healthy number of green sunfish (GSF). I'm pretty sure I have several GSF in the lake that will break the kentucky state record and when they're that size they are sitting at the same table as my bass. I've caught them on large spinner baits and flukes while LMB fishing. That said, from what I've gathered I'll leave the big purebreeds alone and attempt to harvest the slot bass and GSF only? Also, does anyone have any leads on threadfin or golden shiners? I guess the local bait shop would be the place to start... What about stocking rates per acre?

I also noted in the link provided that GSF and threadfin are listed as 'undesirable'. What negative impacts might I expect from stocking? BG population explosion from a drop in predation?

As for what I want out of the pond, consistently good bass fishing. Plentiful and big. BG are nice but the LMB come first.

Cody changed GS to GSF. GS is golden shiner GSF is green sunfish.