Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Ranger don't worry about this statute. Most states have the same regulatory scheme. If the state did not have such statutes it could not enforce hunting and fishing laws as all game would be the private property of the person in possession of the game. Then the state could not prohibit harvest or the sale for commercial purposes of game fish or wild animals nor prosecute the outlaw harvesters. Most states have exemptions for owners of private lands and they don't go around harassing private land owners on their own place. If however you try to sell game fish as a commercial operation (like to a restaurant) that is a big no-no.

Historically this is the common law as it came from England to the US in the 1600-1700's. The Crown (King/State) owned all game and decided who could harvest it. If he ceded land to a Duke/Lord etc then they had the right to do so on that land as granted them by the Crown. This is the genesis of private ownership and the right to take game. Same today as you own the land and have the right from the state to harvest animals and fish from it.
I think that depends on the state doesn't it? In my state you CAN sell gamefish for food consumption as long as they don't come from public waters. Largemouth bass are being grown for the asian market in many places now.

Oh wait I think I misunderstood. You meant a private pond owner trying to sell fish as a commerical operation? As in without the proper permits or license?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.