GaryTexas,

What you described is pretty much what I've done on two ponds now. On one pond I used my back-hoe to dig a trench to drain instead of a track-hoe and on the other used a track-hoe which was needed on site for another project. I did all the dozer work myself....hired the track-hoe work.

The discussion above on DIY is interesting to me as a person who prefers DIY...and that's by choice and not economics. I really enjoy operating a dozer. It is one of the most fun things I've done related to a lifetime of ranch and pond work. I'm currently clearing 70 acres of 5 year old growth clear cut and having an absolute blast doing it. More fun than a human being should be allowed to have!

I hope to add the track-hoe, as a rental piece of equipment, to my experience soon when the 70 acres is cleared and new pond construction can begin.

There is nothing more satisfying to me than taking the morning coffee out to the land and seeing the transformation from absolute use-less brush to beautiful pasture. I would be cheating myself if I hired it done and missed out on the rewards that hard work provides. Not for everyone, certainly, but I love it.

By the way, Theo, I hire out all of my hay cutting and baling...no fun in that for me...but operating a dozer, that's fun! To each his own, as they say.

Heybud, I'm not advocating you try this as a DIY.
Just responding to Theo, who has a good bit of that DIY appreciation also.