hi, my dad and i are looking at a piece of land to purchase that has a freshly dug approx 4 acre pond on it. the farmer who owns the land placed a drain tile in the dam to prevent this from filling while they were digging. therefore, the pond has never been filled with water. i have a couple major issues i need to resolve, but i have no idea how to do it.
1. how can i be sure that there is a good clay base that will "hold" the water in.
2. all of the water shed for this pond comes from a field that will either have corn or beans in it. i am concerned about the chemicals that may wash into the pond, but i am not sure if this is a big deal or not.
i live in muncie indiana and there doesn't seem to be anyone around here that has enough knowledge to help me. thanks for any help in advance!
i should also ask, how do i "plug" the drain tile that he currently has in place at the lower part of the dam.
if you can think of any other concerns i should have please bring them to my attention.
this is a HUGE investment for me and i hate like heck to buy it, build my house and have no water in the pond. \:\(