Not much to add... Grew up and live on a farm. About all my weekends are spent working on cattle fence and other "work" stuff so not much time for fishing. That said, I still like cattle.

Like any business though, there are fixed and variable costs and risks. Examples of each. You may need a tractor to haul hay whether you have 20 or 200 cows. The tractor is a fixed cost. The additional fuel to haul more hay is variable. Your total hay hauling cost is cheaper per head at 200. Just like using that combine on 2,000 acres instead of 200. A brother had some cattle a few miles away that turned up dead a few years back. Never did figure out why. Suspect person who had been fishing in his pond and 4 wheeler riding on his land without permission got mad and poisoned them somehow. Couldn't prove anything. Cattle prices are fairly good right now. It seems I get tax write offs every year from farming. Makes me feel good on April 15th. Then I get to thinking and ask myself, does that mean I lost money?

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]