I had my 1 acre pond built here in NE Ohio last year - completed in August - and it is 2/3 full of water. I am looking for advice on fish stocking and any other sage advice. This is a great site and I have learned a ton by reading the posts for the last hour.

This pond is an embankment type with no creek going into it - just runoff. My goal is a multi-use pond, with one end "wild" and one end having a small beach and a dock. Want to have some fish for recreational fishing only - low maintenance required. No feeding.

It is oval in shape, 8-10 feet deep except at the wild end I placed some trees and piled up some dirt, added rocks and there is an area that will be 4' deep to 0' created for habitat. I also threw in some busted up concrete, broken blocks, rocks, etc. I plan to let the weeds grow, in fact plan on adding duckweed, etc. to try and attract ducks.

I live in a rural area and there is a year-round stream running next to the pond and a small swampy area that will also help out. I also plan on planting trees and bushes to attract birds (not on the embankment). Any advice on flora welcome.

I was thinking BG and LMB. After reading here, I would also like YP. Wouldn't the YP be easier to clean and eat than the BG? I like that the YP prefer the deeper parts and the LMB the structure. Seems they could co-exist okay?

Currently there are lots of tads, some frogs and some swimming insects. Oh yeah, I have a 1/4 acre pond 15 ft away that has been there for 20 years and has BG in it and used to have LMB but I don't know if they are still there. Lots of frogs. Muskrats. Blue Heron. Possum. Raccoon. Kingfisher. Red Tail hawk.

Will this work? - Put BG in now, along with minnows. The pond should fill up with spring rain. Then add YP in the fall, and then LMB in the fall of 2007?

I have tried to create a lot of fish habitat with rocks, limbs, piles, holes and have added wire mesh and even some chicken wire thinking it would protect the fry. There will be significant vegetation in the water at the shallow end. I am embedding used cyclone fencing 8' high to about 12" out of the water(in the mud) to discourage the muskrats.
I am sorry to be so long winded but I am guessing you will need the detail to help me.

If you think my plan will work, or needs modification, I am also interested in quantities to put in and when. I was going to catch a few BG from the other pond and throw them in, but I now want to wait for advice.

2/3 acre pond 12 miles from that big pond we call Lake Erie.